Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #1 
wooder42

Fungal Infection

I was wondering if anyone could confirm my new rescue betta has a fungal infection. I am new at being a fish parent and want to make sure before I start treating it as one. The picture isn't the best. I will try and get a better one tonight. It does not look cob web (ish) but more like a patch under his mouth area. Also what is the best medication to treat a fungal infection?
Info:
5 gal tank
heated to 80F
Picked him up on Sunday, put in fresh water with 1 tsp of Epsom Salt per gallon.
After 24 hours started eating and is acting very normal.
Just noticed the patch last night.
Attached Images

wooder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Fungal infections are pretty rare but not impossible since you just got him. Those cups that the petstores keep him in are breeding pools of who knows what.

More likely it is a bacterial infection. It looks like it could possibly be Columnaris?

Keep the water super clean and add some AQ Salt with water changes. Epsom salt is good for bloating/first stages of dropsy but not really going to do much otherwise.

If it persists, get a medication that treats gram-negative bacteria. Marycn II is one that is readily available at most pet chain stores. Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #3 
wooder42

Thank you Romad!!! I will buy some on the way home tonight. What ratio of Aquarium Salt would you recommend?? 1/2 tsp or 1 tsp??
Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #4 
wooder42

That would be per gallon of water.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Sorry I'm out of AQ Salt at the moment (particularly icy steps last week - LOL) but the suggested amount per gallon is on the box.

Note - salt does not dissipate out of the water so if you're adding it during water changes, don't dose the tank for 5 gallons, use the dosage recommended for the amount of the new water that you're putting in the tank - one gallon, 1.2 gallon etc.....
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote