Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #11 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
Are you sure it not his normal coloration? Is it something he got while you have him or you bought him like that? One of my betta looks the same but it his normal coloration
I don't know if it is his DNA for sure, but my boss who gave Fred to me said his fin rot is not that bad based on the photo.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #12 
ANHEL123

10 days of salt. Then when you done treating with salt do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. I think we already discussed betta acclimation in your previous post? It very important because you don't want to shock him with the temperature difference. And yes you can take the filter out. Watch his tail hopefully it will not get worse if it will then you might need medications. Medications will be last resort. It always better to try salt first especially if it mild .

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #13 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
10 days of salt. Then when you done treating with salt do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. I think we already discussed betta acclimation in your previous post? It very important because you don't want to shock him with the temperature difference. And yes you can take the filter out. Watch his tail hopefully it will not get worse if it will then you might need medications. Medications will be last resort. It always better to try salt first especially if it mild .

Thanks, the fin colors are turning lighter in grey and I am seeing very little translucent fin growth in the tattered areas as in growing back to its original shape. I suppose it will be take a while, but I hope it is going the right direction.

Also, the black tips on the Anal fins closest the to body, gill-side, is disappearing, as in the black shrunk from 1mm to 1/2mm in two days. But I am not seeing the translucent growth like that in the caudal fins.

Final AQ salt water change will be on 1/11/13. We'll see how things go. But I notice more rapid changes since I upped the AQ to 10ml per gallon and added the Stress Coat+ as suggested here.

I got the 50W heater and this stabilized the temperature at 80F (+/- 1F), really neat compared to my 7.5W that fluctuates from 74F-82F overnight.

Also, Moses, the Marimo Moss might be helping with this healing process too by taking in the bad stuff for Fred. Still learning A LOT from all the kind generous info-sharing people on this BB.

Last edited by Otterfun; 01-09-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

Oh good translucent fins growth is regrown. I would lower the temp to 78 . Both fungus and bacteria thrive and multiply in warm water. And 78* is good temperature for them anyway. So since you have adjustable heater you can slowly lower the temp about 1* in an hour.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #15 
Otterfun

Update : 1/11 is the last water change with AQ salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
Thanks, the fin colors are turning lighter in grey and I am seeing very little translucent fin growth in the tattered areas as in growing back to its original shape.
The greyer tips continues to get lighter in grey at the caudal fins and appear to be shortening while the overall length remains about the same. I suppose the new fin grown is pushing out the grey tips as it "sheds"??

Translucent & more solid ivory tips are growing back, as in the torn fins are slowly coming together again.

Quote:
Also, the black tips on the Anal fins closest the to body, gill-side, is disappearing, as in the black shrunk from 1mm to 1/2mm in two days. But I am not seeing the translucent growth like that in the caudal fins.
The black tips are all gone. I am seeing Translucent & more solid ivory tips are growing back towards the body (1/2mm), no connection to the body yet, another 1/2mm to grow.

Quote:
Final AQ salt water change will be on 1/11/13. We'll see how things go. But I notice more rapid changes since I upped the AQ to 10ml per gallon and added the Stress Coat+ as suggested here.

I got the 50W heater and this stabilized the temperature at 80F (+/- 1F), really neat compared to my 7.5W that fluctuates from 74F-82F overnight.
Heater is set at 78F.
Still learning A LOT from all the kind generous info-sharing people on this BB.

Fred is a little constipated, 24 hours without having done a #2: fasting will start today.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #16 
ANHEL123

If you can find frozen daphnia in the store it helps with constipation. Fast him one day. Some people recommending to do it once a week anyway. I never do it because i don't feed them a lot and i never had any problem. He is not bloated right?
I am glad his fins getting better. Keep us updated.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #17 
ANHEL123

24 hrs if he didn't poop it ok, the problem would be if it more than 2-3 days and if he will become bloated.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #18 
Otterfun

Not yet bloated, day 2, unless my eyes are bad.
Anyway, had 100% water change Fri. 11pm, baseline ph 7.0, nitrite & nitrate at 0.

Ammonia got to .25 at 10am sat. Did 25% water change, got to .25 again at 11pm sat., did a 50% change.

Sun 10am: 0.25 Ammonia, did 25% change, 0 ammonia at 10pm, slight rise in nitrite but not enough to do a change. Ph 7.5, 0 nitrite & nitrate.

Will test water tonight.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #19 
ANHEL123

How is the water ? How he doing?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #20 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
How is the water ? How he doing?
have been hitting 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, did not even bother to check nitrate all day Monday.
ph jumped to 7.4, maybe it's the limestone in the gravel (??) But I think it helps the plants a little, right ? as it may indicate CO2???Not a biologist or chemist, just speculating.

Fred is swimming happy, not bloated after 1 day fast. I have a feeling the #2 slid through the gravel instead of resting on the gravel.

He got scared by the air bubble leaving the wisteria when he was checking the floating plant out.