Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

If this is a soil based heavy planted tank-I would leave the uneaten food for the plants and even add an extra pinch for them a couple of times a week. Also, in the soil based heavy planted tanks-you don't want to keep the mulm/debris vacuumed too much-this needs to break down so the plants can use the nutrients it produces as well as the natural CO2 that decomp naturally creates.

This is one of the hardest parts for some hobbyists to accept or do when keeping the soil based planted tanks...Allowing the mulm/debris to buildup a bit-Your water should always be clear-but you don't want crystal clean floor/substrate....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #12 
alunjai

It is soil based but I'm not sure if its considered heavily planted... I would say the plants are covering approx. a third to a half of the tank base.
alunjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #13 
alunjai

So, I finally planted my DHG and took a picture of it... In the end I followed OFL's method by putting a small stone on top to keep the patch down. Hopefully the roots will find its way into the soil and help to anchor it down.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #14 
itsuki

how is the dwarf hairgrass doing?? i am still thinking about getting some to carpet my tank. well dwarf hairgrass or maybe babytears....cant decide yet :(
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #15 
kfryman

Unless you are running at the minimum of 30 PAR at the substrate level, it will take forever to get either to carpet, also don't forget without CO2 they won't have the growth you are looking for. A better alternative is dwarf pygmy chain sword though, and it still looks good and carpets.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #16 
alunjai

Since I took the picture above, I've been rearranging the grass and they've become loose from the soil. The soil isn't tightly compact so the roots hasn't really anchored itself firmly to the bottom.

I bought 2 additional carpets but this time I left some of the white cotton stuff to hold the carpet together and also to give it some weight... this seems to be working well and I've seen some growth to the grass.

I will upload some pics soon.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #17 
alunjai

Here you can see 3 old patches in the middle, which have gone loose from all the rearranging. The 2 on the side are new.
Attached Images