Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #431 
Skyewillow

I may be wrong, but my Skerries doesn't look VT and definitely not a CT, I'm thinking he may be Plakat.

He's one of the two Petco babies that we bought back in mid-December.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #432 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
I may be wrong, but my Skerries doesn't look VT and definitely not a CT, I'm thinking he may be Plakat.

He's one of the two Petco babies that we bought back in mid-December.
His fins are too long to be PK. I'm thinking delta
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #433 
carbonxxkidd

Does anyone know around what age baby bettas start losing their stripes?

Today was the first day I noticed mine without stripes. It's kind of off and on, one minute it'll have stripes, the next it won't. I almost didn't recognize my baby today though because of this! Just wondering if there is a way to tell age based on stripes or not? Hopefully in a week or two I will be able to tell if it's a boy or girl...
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #434 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
Does anyone know around what age baby bettas start losing their stripes?

Today was the first day I noticed mine without stripes. It's kind of off and on, one minute it'll have stripes, the next it won't. I almost didn't recognize my baby today though because of this! Just wondering if there is a way to tell age based on stripes or not? Hopefully in a week or two I will be able to tell if it's a boy or girl...
Same thing with my baby, started losing its stripes about a week after I brought it home and now it sometimes has vertical stripes too. No idea on the age thing though.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #435 
Luxavior

Its been 2 weeks since I brought Darling home~

Depending on the lighting, it has a nice blue sheen to it while other times its just white with the baby stripe.
Luxavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #436 
LadyVictorian

My girls baby stripes didn't fully go away until about 4 months, now the only time she gets them is if she is stressed. Though my girl has a lighter almost lavender body so they may fade faster with darker fish like blue or reds. Not sure as I have only raised Phoenix. Hopefully that won't be true long. Also I am rather confused on her tail type.Sometimes i think she is just veiltail and sometimes I feel she is actually delta because when she flares her tail is more rounded ad full. She also has a fairly long tail for a girl, not nice and tight though it is a girl tail you can tell. Her tail doesn't appear to slop down like a female veiltail but it's not quite the full halfmoon spread though it does fill out when she flares. When she isn't flaring she looks more like a vt. Curious, wish I had my stupid memory card for my camera to take pictures of her with the underwater camera.

Also her color is most baffling, her body is almost a copper lavender, some shades she could almost be chocolate but the inside of her fins are redish orange and the outside are blue, not washed they resemble the mustardgas pattern. What color is that? She went through a freaky color change from being all purple and blue to that. It was kinda funny when it happened too, she lost her blue hue and got more brownish reddish on the body and her fins brightened up tenfold.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 01-13-2013 at 12:41 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #437 
callistra

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Is this weird? My baby Betta Pooh loves to share the "sinking wafer" food I give to her tank mate Pookie the Catfish! I also give her freeze dried bloodworms and "BettaMin" and she eats like a little piggy fish! I guess that's good! Do you think she is bonding with Pookie? I know it's not ideal to have just one catfish but they do seem to be friends so far.

PS I have a 5 gallon tank. Two fish should be the limit, right?

What kind of catfish is that? The smallest, require a 10g. Some get much much bigger...

Bettas can sometimes pig out on algae wafers and cause swim bladder issues. so be careful.. Also freeze dried foods need to be soaked before feeding because they're so dry and the bettamin is not a good quality pellet.

It's especially important for growing bettas to get good quality food. the NLS small fish forumla was a good suggestion. They also make a growth formula.

Last edited by callistra; 01-15-2013 at 10:00 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #438 
Skyewillow

That's a punctatus cory, and they get about 2.5" long (males are slightly smaller than females).

Cookie really shouldn't be in anything under a 10, and with 4 fish of his/her own species. (Other Punctatus cories, not just other cories in general)

They're a really cool species though, I had a trio for a while.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #439 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
What kind of catfish is that? The smallest, require a 10g. Some get much much bigger...

Bettas can sometimes pig out on algae wafers and cause swim bladder issues. so be careful.. Also freeze dried foods need to be soaked before feeding because they're so dry and the bettamin is not a good quality pellet.

It's especially important for growing bettas to get good quality food. the NLS small fish forumla was a good suggestion. They also make a growth formula.
Peppered cory.
You need to move him to a 10 minimum and get him at minimum 2 more peppered preferably atleast 4, As they are a schooling species.

EDIT::
Oops! I quoted the wrong person! +1 Callistra!

Last edited by aemaki09; 01-15-2013 at 11:24 AM.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #440 
Skyewillow

Sometimes I hate the internet.
Last time I looked up paleatus, it gave me punctatus and vice versa.

PALEATUS is the scientific name... stupid internet. -kicks-

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta