Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #21 
Demysta

Thanks for the advice Sakura8! I went into the local pet store (only one with an extensive fish section), and they did not have KanaPlex or the API, however the employee I talked to was very knowledgeable about betta fish and when I explained my fish's symptoms and all, he agreed that it was septicemia. At first he suggested Maracyn-2, but when I told him that had not helped, he suggested Furan-2 which he said he treats his own betta fish with when they get septicemia. So I'm hoping this will effectively get rid of Alpha's affliction. I really want to see this little guy happy again. Will keep you guys posted on his condition.
And to encourage him to eat, I now have a few live bloodworms to try and get some protein into his system.
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #22 
Sakura8

Live food is excellent because it stimulates their eating when pellets won't. A fish who won't eat is a sick fish indeed.

Kanaplex is, unfortunately, a really hard to med to find in stores and it most often has to be ordered online. Furan-2 is a good antibiotic and if you find Kanaplex as well, you can combine the two for an even more effective antibiotic treatment. The reason why you'd want to combine them is because Furan-2 doesn't absorb through the skin so it's not as effective for internal problems, whereas Kanaplex does.

Good luck and I hope he gets better quickly. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #23 
Demysta

Thank you all for your concern and advice, but unfortunately Alpha has now passed away. I had done a full water change given him Furan-2, and come back to find that he was already dead.
Turns out, his septicemia turned into dropsy. I found him super bloated with pine coned scales. I've never ever heard of this happening to a fish though, especially in such a short time... I'm really puzzled as to how septicemia turned into dropsy, and how he died within three days of being sick.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #24 
Sakura8

:( I'm so sorry you just lost Alpha. :(

Because septicemia is an infection of the bloodstream, it's unfortunately all too easy for that infection to get carried into the internal organs, especially the kidneys. Most dropsy cases are caused by infections of the kidneys. The organs start to shut down, causing the fluid buildup that makes the scales stick out. Sadly, if his septicemia case was aggressive, it probably would have affected his organs sooner or later. :( You did everything you could do for him.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #25 
AyalaCookiejar

I'm so sorry :( dropsy is internal organ failure and I believe it happens quickly. It generally is the result of other internal problems.
I'm sorry for your loss :( may he Swim in Peace!

Edit: Sakura beat me to it!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #26 
callistra

I'm sorry :( It probably just spread too fast for the medicine to take hold. Any time you're running an internal infection like that they can move very quickly and tend to be very aggressive by nature.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #27 
Demysta

Ah, I see. Well, at least it is a little comforting to know that it really was out of my hands. I really did try my hardest for the little guy, but with something like this, especially if it was a very aggressive case of septicemia, then there really isn't much a medication can do. Thank you for all the information and all regarding this! If anything, this incident has really taught me a lot about these diseases. Now I'll now how to properly act the next time I have a betta come down with these.
Once again, thanks guys. :)

Now I'm just hoping that the pet store can refund my Furan-2 since it really was too late for it to do anything. XD
Old 01-10-2013, 04:05 AM   #28 
dbrooke1

:( i am sorry to hear about your little guy. wow, sad. you did a great job. just wanted to say. it's good you have the proper thinking. it'd be a learning experience, definately......
dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote