Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #1 
Mal72

My fish is still not wanting eat!

Previously, I posted about my Veiltale Flare because was loosing his color and sticking close to the top of tank. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=124943 <---Additional information is here, although he is actually 3 years old, not two.

In his 5 gallon (heated and aerated), I did a 100% water change, tested the levels and all were good, put in some stress coat, adjusted his heater--everything. I did not feed him because he was initially rejected food and I thought it may be due to SBD or constipation. Over the past four days, his color has been returning and he was slightly more active, but now his is at the top of the tank again. I tried feeding him--various things (freezed dried blood worms, New Life Spectrum small bites, and flakes), but the normally greedy fish just ignored it. I even placed a pellet directly on his nose--hoping to entice him, but he just shook it off and didn't move anymore. I have kept his tank very quiet and warm--in case it was stress, but he doesn't seem to be improving. Other than trying to feed him and check on him, there is no commotion surrounding his tank and he is nowhere near my other 3 bettas.
I know that 3 years old is considered old for a captive betta, but I have kept them longer and am quite attached this boy. As they say, the troubled child wins the mother's heart and he was no exception--ready to pick a fight and "Flare" every time I approached the tank. For the past week, he has become quite lazy and seems miserable. I have no idea what else I should do!!!! The last thing I want him to do is suffer.
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #2 
Sixwolf

It sounds like he might be sick. I would watch him very closely and see if you notice anything that might indicate what he might have, if he is indeed sick. This site provides very comprehensive advice on betta illnesses: http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm
Sixwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #3 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixwolf View Post
It sounds like he might be sick. I would watch him very closely and see if you notice anything that might indicate what he might have, if he is indeed sick. This site provides very comprehensive advice on betta illnesses: http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

I referred to that website at his first signs of symptoms--plus treated his water with Aquarium salt in case of infection, but none of his symptoms seems to match the pictures on the site. Here are pictures of him when he was really sick. He looks awful, poor thing. His color has since returned some, but he is still sticking to the top of the tank like below and he isn't eating. I moved him to a one gallon (heated/filtered) so I could monitor him better without gravel so I could watch his poop.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mal72; 01-10-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #4 
Sixwolf

From these pics, it does look more like fin rot. If that's the case, he will probably need antibiotics and fungal treatments, and it could take a few weeks for him to get better.
Sixwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #5 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixwolf View Post
From these pics, it does look more like fin rot. If that's the case, he will probably need antibiotics and fungal treatments, and it could take a few weeks for him to get better.

Unfortunately, I did not have a Betta First Aid Kit on hand right now. Is there a way to get Antibiotics from the local petstore?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #6 
callistra

It looks like fin melt and clamped very hard.. As I said in my last post, he looks like he has internal parasites. He is not swollen at all and looks emaciated...But if he hasn't been eating that could cause it as well.

So what color is his poop?

He won't eat even frozen brine shrimp? The hardest thing I have had the worst luck with treating is emaciated fish who have stopped eating. Keep trying daily.

You'll have to call the local pet stores in your area and see what they sell. It varies by location. I'd try Kanaplex by Seachem, personally.

Last edited by callistra; 01-10-2013 at 10:29 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #7 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
It looks like fin melt and clamped very hard.. As I said in my last post, he looks like he has internal parasites. He is not swollen at all and looks emaciated...But if he hasn't been eating that could cause it as well.

So what color is his poop?

He won't eat even frozen brine shrimp? The hardest thing I have had the worst luck with treating is emaciated fish who have stopped eating. Keep trying daily.

You'll have to call the local pet stores in your area and see what they sell. It varies by location. I'd try Kanaplex by Seachem, personally.
I've been changing his water fairly regularly--in case of parasites and the last water change featured no poop, but the in the one before his poop was light brown.

It is frustrating to watch, but I have been trying to feed him daily. I have not dried Brine Shrimp yet, but was planning on picking some up anyway. I will look into buying some Kanaplex, as well--if I could find some. Thank you. I hope it works :/