Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #21 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
ok iv heard some of the older members say its ok to divide a 10g into four to three sections to house bettas, but its not ok for a couple of guppies to live in, they wouldnt make small fish tanks if fish wernt suppose to go in them
You are wrong. Manufactuers make small tanks because they are lucrative. As LBF said, sometimes the small ones sell for just as much or more than 10, 20, or even 30 gal tanks. It's not about what is good for the fish; it's about what will make money.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #22 
labloverl

Wow, I'm so glad I checked here first! I also looked at AqAdvisor for what could go in 3 gallons, and all that came up were shrimp and snails! :)

I don't have a lot of experience with fishkeeping, other than breeding guppies 2 or 3 times, and raising the babies. But now I just have the 10 gallon with 3 bettas and a 5 gallon with 1 betta. I would still love to have a colorful, small school of fish. (without getting a new tank)
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #23 
djembekah

:( can't really though, with the open space you have.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #24 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
I don't have a lot of experience with fishkeeping, other than breeding guppies 2 or 3 times, and raising the babies. But now I just have the 10 gallon with 3 bettas and a 5 gallon with 1 betta. I would still love to have a colorful, small school of fish. (without getting a new tank)
Unfortunately that's not really possible. Schooling fish need pretty large tanks (compared to a 10 gal or 5 gal) because they need to have lots of friends around. Honestly I just say try to sell the tank and put that money towards a bigger and more suitable tank if you are serious about getting schooling fish.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #25 
eatmice2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Eatmice2010, you're providing wrong info.
You're a newbie to this hobby, aren't you? Beat that to 3 experienced fish keepers who have experience over 5 years. (?) Guppies and puffers are different. Guppies are active fish, they don't like staying in one spot. Puffers are more of an explorer. They won't mind going in circles or so. Guppies will be stressed in small tanks due to their high activity level. Don't even forget about the ammonia being produced. Marketers make small tanks because they know people won't buy big tanks. They want small, cute little tanks for cute little fish. You're basically saying that goldfish deserve to be in small tanks.
First off I may be new to this site but unlike you I've always have been raised around fish. No I SUGGESTED putting two or three small fish in a tank. And this tread is to give your opinions on what could go in a tank. You abviosly need to go back to fish one o one every person that is old enough to have have had more that 20 years of exsperience can tell you they would be fine. And don't use a marine biologist thing because marine biologist study marine life which is salt water.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #26 
Firefly85

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
First off I may be new to this site but unlike you I've always have been raised around fish. No I SUGGESTED putting two or three small fish in a tank. And this tread is to give your opinions on what could go in a tank. You abviosly need to go back to fish one o one every person that is old enough to have have had more that 20 years of exsperience can tell you they would be fine. And don't use a marine biologist thing because marine biologist study marine life which is salt water.
I agree with you as well, I also have 10+ years experiance. I just didn't want to argue with anyone here.
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #27 
djembekah

years of experience=/=doing things correctly
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #28 
labloverl

Izzy, I might do that. I'm very happy with the bettas I have, but I love to think of what I could do. If I got a bigger tank... 10 gallon? What could I put in it? Fish I have had in the past and liked are guppies, neons, glowlight tetras, mollies, and platties. But I do like the look of danios and glofish.

Again, this is just brainstorming. :)

Last edited by labloverl; 01-10-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #29 
LittleBettaFish

Just because you have been something for longer, doesn't mean that you have been doing it right for longer.

I know lots of car drivers who have been driving for years and who still drive like they got their licenses out of a wheaties box.

As to answer your question labloverl, common species danios (glofish are modified zebra danios so fall under this banner as well), are much too active for a 10 gallon tank. Generally the recommendation is a 3ft tank as they really require a fair amount of room to swim.

Mollies also grow too big for a 10 gallon tank. However, you could fit in a small school of neons.

There are a lot of fish species outside of the standard neons, guppies, mollies, platys, corydoras, plecos etc. If you are prepared to do your research and set-up your aquarium correctly, there are a lot of nano friendly options that make for a very nice display.

I can make some suggestions, but generally these fish have pretty specific care requirements so I don't want to go suggesting them if you are happier sticking with something like neons.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #30 
labloverl

Thanks LBF! I would like something other than neons, but I do not need something that has a high care level...