Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #31 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
Izzy, I might do that. I'm very happy with the bettas I have, but I love to think of what I could do. If I got a bigger tank... 10 gallon? What could I put in it? Fish I have had in the past and liked are guppies, neons, glowlight tetras, mollies, and platties. But I do like the look of danios and glofish.

Again, this is just brainstorming. :)
Oh I love glowlight tetra! A lot of people pass them over in the store, but they're really very pretty when not stressed. Neons are pretty, too, but I prefer cardinals over them. It actually came down to a choice between glowlights and cardinals in my tropical community.

Lol not to be an enabler here, but Petco is having their dollar per gallon sale until the 19th! To get a good school and some good color out of the fish I'd suggest getting a 20 gal or larger tank that way you can get more than the minimum six fishies per school. In something like a 29 gal you could have a nice shoal of 10-12 glowlights and then a handful of platies to swim in the upper region and even top it out with some cories or otos or bristlenose plecos.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #32 
labloverl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Oh I love glowlight tetra! A lot of people pass them over in the store, but they're really very pretty when not stressed. .
I agree! I think I like neons over cardinals because neons are smaller. They are pretty though.

Yes, I do not need an enabler! How often do they have those sales?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #33 
skepkat

Quote:
Izzy, I might do that. I'm very happy with the bettas I have, but I love to think of what I could do. If I got a bigger tank... 10 gallon? What could I put in it? Fish I have had in the past and liked are guppies, neons, glowlight tetras, mollies, and platties. But I do like the look of danios and glofish.

Again, this is just brainstorming. :)
My suggestion is to skip the 10 gal & get a larger tank.

My personal experience as a newbie is that I ended up getting too many 10 gallon tanks. Petco had a 1$ per gallon sale and I jumped at getting a 20 long - and I love it. Wish I'd gone that route earlier. The tanks that were included in that sale were limited & I can't say if this is common or not. But $20 for a nice big tank was great. It fits on a 29 gallon stand. I currently house my female sorority in it. I'm hoping to get a 2nd 20 long for some neons or platies or some combination of some sort. Or maybe go for a 40 so i can get an angle fish.

Some time ago someone posted this link: http://www.aqadvisor.com/ As a newbie, it seems a good resource. When I purchase the new tank, I will probably use it to guide me on stocking it.

I'm using my 2.5 gal tank for plants.
skepkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #34 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Yes, I do not need an enabler! How often do they have those sales?
I'm such a terrible fish enabler!! I was told the sales come around once every 2-3 months by a Petco employee. So maybe expect another one around March or so. So no need to rush into it right now. Take time to find good deals on stands and filters (even checking out secondhand places like Craigslist).
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote