Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #11 
Bluewind

He is stilll active today. I snagged his food fast this morning because he was starting to dance for his food like he always does and I didn't want him to hurt himself. He munched up 7 omega one betta bufet pellets like he does every morning (he burns off all the food because he is crazy active. No swelling or buldging before anyone asks).

I am gonna do a pwc in a bit including a substrate vac. About how much should I do a day? My tank details are in my siggy. I decided to do the whole tank instead of floating him because I think it will stress him out since he is still so active.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #12 
callistra

You are overfeeding. Betta's stomach's are the size of their eye. You are feeding 7x the size of his stomach. I'm glad you haven't had problems so far but you will eventually if you continue to gorge the guy. I wouldn't feed more than 2-3 of those in a feeding and 7 is also a ton even split up.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #13 
Bluewind

I know it is double what most feed theirs, but Gus has no swelling, buldging, or bowel problems. He would easily eat 10 if I let him!

He has been eating 7 per day since late October. I worried that he had a problem, but he has shown no signs of problems. He eats them all quickly without spitting out a one and when I feed him less, he munches the plants and the bottom feeder's food!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #14 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ial is Indian almond leaf. It is simply a dried leaf, but you can buy the extract. It is fairly uncommon, and not vital, but it can help heal them up.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #15 
Bluewind

I have always wondered why everyone keeps those! But I was afraid to ask

I will look for it. I may not find it around here, but I will try. Thank you Matt
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #16 
Fae

Oh no! Poor Gus! Bettas love to squeeze into places they shouldn't, silly little dudes. I'm sure you've removed the ornament already, just make sure the next one only has holes that are plenty big for him to fit. As for treating him I would just keep the water clean and warm. Don't use aquarium salt yet unless you notice signs of infection and make sure to quarantine him because you're right, your snails and plants will not appreciate it! The only thing I would pick up is API Stress Coat, it is a dechlorinator, but it also promotes a healthy slime coat for accidents like this. IAL will be ok too, but I don't think you'll be able to get it anywhere but online, and if I remember correctly that isn't an option for you right now. Best of luck to Gus! I'm sure he'll make a full recovery in your care.
Fae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #17 
Bluewind

Thanks Fae! The castle was meant to be a hiding place for shrimp, but Gus figured out how to get in the front door! I would have left it in there if he hadn't tried to go in through the window!

My boy isn't gonna be as pretty as he was before, but he's still my little boy.

I have been keeping his water good and clean. I also put his big quart jar back in which he enjoys chilling out in as it was his home for his 1st week here! I put in a new filter to keep the water crystal and have been using my API Stress Coat to condition all my pwc while he heals.

He's been active and eating well. I split his feeding into 2 separate ones of 4 and 3 which REALLY pissed him off! He was like "WHERE MY FOOD!?!" Every time I came in my room, he was like "FOOD LADY!" and start dancing. Such a silly boy
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-09-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #18 
Fae

Haha! I bought a little mountain that I meant for shrimp too. The cave was big enough for him to fit in, but there were leaves around it so I rigged it so he wouldn't be able to follow them in. He didn't like that idea much so he just pushed those leaves right aside and went in an explored. Scared me for a bit cause I had no idea where he'd gone, then all of a sudden I see his little head poking out, haha.

With the food, I'm sure he will eventually come to love having two meals a day, its like twice the fun! Yesterday my guy discovered algae wafers. Ooh boy. He went over and kept fanning his tails around so all these little particles were going EVERYWHERE. Then he'd come swimming up to me all covered in them and was all pleased with himself, haha. He had a pretty full belly after that though, and probably regretted it, hehe.
Fae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #19 
Bluewind

I was actually thinking of getting one of those wiffle balls (plastic ball about the size of a soft ball, but with holes in it) and cleaning it up really good (including sanding rouch spots) and putting it in my tank for shrimp to hid in, but after this, not so sure. I would partly burry a bit of it in the sand so that it wouldn't just roll around. Is it a bad idea?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #20 
Skyewillow

bettas enjoy playing "where do I fit?". it's a very dangerous game where they try to squeeze in anywhere that they're not supposed to be. I use those "dino skulls" and terra cotta pots. Just make sure you offer more than one. Because then Mr. Gus can't use them all at once.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote