Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #71 
ChibreneyDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
Chibreney, the American Dairy Goat association does a "Native on Appearance" registration. If your goat looks like a Nubian, it can be registered as a Nubian, grade, but Nubian nonetheless. It goes for every breed that they sanction.
Show goats. Awesome. I know my cousins would show sheep. Dont talk goats to me. They are one of my favorite animals besides Bettas and Cats.
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #72 
Skyewillow

Or the fact that most fancy goldfish have problems with their organs because of their spines, and I've said it before, daschunds have spinal issues from their long bodies.

I literally read a post on another forum the other day, where someone didn't want to fix their cat, because they were afraid of taking away his "reproductive rights". I wanted to slap someone.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #73 
ChibreneyDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
The reason for a pedigree is so you know that the grandparents of your dog were a Labrador, not just a random yellow dog that looks like it could possibly be a Labrador.

Same with how every fluffy cat in a shelter suddenly becomes a Maine Coon, or one that meows a lot must be part Siamese.

I have never had to cull any of my fry. Oddly enough those that aren't culled naturally early on seem to grow up free of deformities. I had a couple of bent spines in a recent batch of fry I thought I would have to cull and now I can't even pick them out of the bunch.

Wonder if because a lot of my fry are in with their parents for a week or so before I take them out, the weaker ones die off because I don't supplementary feed and so they can't compete with their stronger siblings.
Interesting... Not the pedigree, I know that, and I also know that entering your "maine Coon" in a show just because you think its one is silly, and that it needs to fit the regs before you enter it.

But the fact that you havent had to cull... Either due to parents or no supplemental feeding. Possibly waiting to cull until the fish is nearly grown? That sounds more feasible than culling the smallest or a tiny fry that really hasnt had the chance to develop. Separating them to either a roomier container or separate ones for more grow space seems like a better idea all around.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #74 
Skyewillow

I used to raise Dairy goats XD

Little, Because you don't do "participation awards", they have to be strong enough to survive. Which is how it should be.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #75 
ChibreneyDragon

Quote:
Or the fact that most fancy goldfish have problems with their organs because of their spines, and I've said it before, daschunds have spinal issues from their long bodies.

I literally read a post on another forum the other day, where someone didn't want to fix their cat, because they were afraid of taking away his "reproductive rights". I wanted to slap someone.
I dont understand that mentality... We have taken these animals into domestication... which means we are RESPONSIBLE for their well being... Which means we are directly responsible for their right for a long happy life...
Old 01-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #76 
ChibreneyDragon

Quote:
I used to raise Dairy goats XD

Little, Because you don't do "participation awards", they have to be strong enough to survive. Which is how it should be.
I nearly was able to get a nanny goat. I love goatsmilk, and the structure of responsibility owning animals that require specific care...

Its why I love raising bettas. Feeding scedules, spawning, water changes... *Le Sigh*
Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #77 
chardzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibreneyDragon View Post
I nearly was able to get a nanny goat. I love goatsmilk, and the structure of responsibility owning animals that require specific care...

Its why I love raising bettas. Feeding scedules, spawning, water changes... *Le Sigh*
i use to love goat milk dont now couse i cant get any today i give some of my bettas a water change n took some pic's still need to add them to my wall i want to be a better betta fish breader it good to hear how some of u guys care for other pets too i'm 100% fish dogs n cats like them too
i have a marble i got from a friend now it full size but wat i want to know it has some funny looking fins , now if i bread it will the bad fins be pass on to the fry? here wat he look like
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #78 
chardzard

ok the pic did not get added i try again
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #79 
ChibreneyDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardzard View Post
i use to love goat milk dont now couse i cant get any today i give some of my bettas a water change n took some pic's still need to add them to my wall i want to be a better betta fish breader it good to hear how some of u guys care for other pets too i'm 100% fish dogs n cats like them too
i have a marble i got from a friend now it full size but wat i want to know it has some funny looking fins , now if i bread it will the bad fins be pass on to the fry? here wat he look like
It depends on how bad the deformity... But a lot of times, messed up fins are due to an instance of poor water or stress, and not really due to a genetic defect.

Even missing ventral fins are more cause by too much movement during fry hood, or Ive heard of MW overfeeding...

ANd some fry may have the phenotype... depends on who you pair her with.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:32 AM   #80 
trilobite

I didnt read all of this thread coz I'm lazy haha but I think trying to reduce/eliminate aggression in fighters is a bad idea. If you don't want to deal with aggression don't get a siamese fighter.
I personally love aggro ones. A fully flared fighter dead set on trying to annihilate his neighbour is my favourite sights.
It shows them at their finest otherwise they'd all look the same, just droopy tailed fish
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote