Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #1 
Desensitizer

Betta has Fungal Infection (hadn't recognized till now) and has had receeding popeye

Admiral Bubblesworth has a fungal infection! There was white under his chin for a while but it was minor and it was hard for me to tell and it seemed like it was part of his coloration. It also looked more like the skin was lighter. Now its a bit more around and its spread down to a bit lower and feels whiter and is on the bottom edge of his scales. I'm so positive it's fungal but I have photos. What do I do?

You can see the edges of it on the third photo
In the third photo you can see the white ring around the eyes I had mentioned

It may not be relevant, might be kanaplex-related as I watched him eat some of the kanaplex and get some of the kanaplex on him when I put it in early today.

I have added plants, a betta log, and a cardboard cover since I started the treatment. I'm so worried because he already has popeye which is already gone(which has receeded for a while)

I added java moss yesterday, cabomba carolina today, both purchased from ebay sellers, java moss had eggs removed, washed, dipped in saltwater 15 -Cabomba had excess,random,stray parts removed, no salt bath since no visible issues, then washed for a long time and placed in. I try really hard to wash my hands (arms if necc) and every object going into the tank.
I have kanaplex, a filter, and epsom salts at the ready. His tank temperature moves around 78-82 degrees, I'm trying hard to get it to stay stable.
I did a 100% change then added epsom salt 5-6 days ago. Do I need to do it again?
Background information is available in these 2 threads
First, learning what I needed to do, tank conditions, diagnosing - http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=124273
Second after getting medications and the 100% change - http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=124754

Oh god I'm freaking out his eye is already suffering what do I do.I will be refilling the tank information quesitonaire
Desensitizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #2 
Desensitizer

Oh god and his gills aren't fully going back in when he flares there are little black parts sticking out.

He flares at me initially when I walk in the room and look in the tank often, sometimes twice, when I walk up to his new tank. He has been doing this often tonight. He flared at me agian when I walked in with the lights on. He has done this before, but not always. This is how it was before. It didn't have lights, then it was like this

Yesterday I upgraded his lighting and its currently like this

I noticed some weird behavior yesterday that might have been related where he got looking into the java moss (which looks dead-y) and either was moving around face first furiously, or had gotten stuck on the twin for like 3-5 seconds. Could that have gotten something/spread something/irritated something?
Remember he also ate some kanaplex today
Could plant material have caused this? I washed them like crazy but particulate matter has been floating around
Could the intensity/light difference stress him?
Could the daily tank changes have stressed him? Moving his betta log around to places that are more fun for him?
I think temporarily turning the filter on may have stressed him, but ive had no choice because I need to circulate his medication/prime/etc, or clean the tank.
He just pooped, it was 6-7 the size of the pellets he eats, little lighter than pellet colored with some dark in it, it seemed like it came out a little forced but I don't think I've seen him poop before (hadn't been under my care that long)
Here is the questionnaire filled out

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 81ish, different in different parts at times, gets down to 78 at latest when lights off at night
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but I only run it for shorts periods during day because even with baffle/prefilter it still disrupts betta a lot.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? NO
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets and worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 pellet a day, maybe 2 tops occasionally, sometimes parts of a worm a day (usually once a day for both)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? going for the weekly, for this new tank I have filled, waited week and done 100%, and its been 5-6 days sine then. Very new tank
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Next time will be 50% (unless fish people say otherwise)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, a little bettafix, epsom salt and kanaplex
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Had popeye that was basically always clear, popeye shrunk a bit
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He has been calmer, he still
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I have noticed popeye
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, he had popeye, and there was a tiny bit of the white but it was so little it looked like potential coloration (just seemed like edges of chin were a little lighter) and I did not noticed it had worsened till about an hour ago when i instantly began documenting with text/images/older thread links and began to panic
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea, prolly 6 month-a year
Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #3 
Desensitizer

Oh god it feels like the fungus has spread a little and his gills going back in has gotten a little worse there is a bit more of it left out I can't handle this maybe he's getitng too much light he only gets 9-10 hours of sleep without light or maybe the light is too intense oh god
there is also the potentially dead java moss. I am oh so worried if anyone has any ideas let me know it feels like he is getting worse I don't want him to die :[
Also a lot of particles move around when I use the filter
He also started about 3-4 hours ago doing the gulp underwater once, maybe twice, which I hadn't seen before.

Last edited by Desensitizer; 01-10-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #4 
Desensitizer

I want to completely change his water maybe I should just change 50% I don't know what to do. Theres prolly stuff in it. I don't want to stress him by changing water but tons of **** could have gotten in to cause bacterial infection. He honestly doesn't even seem that stressed atm just me watching him all diseased and flaring. :[[[[ I need to distract myself and calm down but I need to make sure hes ok he means so much to me
The water almost has like a particulate haze. Should I remove the potentially dead java moss, and try to take out the potentially dead parts of the other plants? :[

Last edited by Desensitizer; 01-10-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #5 
Desensitizer

The Java Moss died overnight and was brown. I threw in a ton of prime and instantly turned the filter on. Still needing advice on what to do
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #6 
Desensitizer

Did a 66% water change and readded epsom salt, prime, and kanaplex accordingly. Ran filter. Took out as much plant material as possible. No more java fern is left, and the cabomba caroliniana is relaxing in a bucket near sunlight. Once it gets healthy I'll drop it back in. Comments/questions/suggestions/answers much appreciated. his bacterial infection is noticably bad and ive never seen inflamed lungs and I worry his popeye is coming back.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #7 
callistra

The filter isn't going to do much good unless you leave it on all the time. Can you not do the sponge outflow baffle? Pretty sure I showed you in your last thread.

We talked about feeding in the last thread so I would go review that.. worm only once a week fast day, increase pellets (protein based), etc.

What kind of lights are you trying to use? Plants need certain kind of light. You can't just put any regular bulb over it and expect it to grow. Also I wonder if they are too close to the tank.. Should be several inches above the water not right above. Also these 3 degree temp swings are a problem and moving the lights may help with this also.

All that decaying plant material could have caused a big ammonia spike. It's good you did a large water change. You may need to do another. You should also be using a siphon/gravel vac and not just draining water off the top. Can you see what the ammonia levels are now?

It's hard to see from your photos but the white belly/chin could just be a stress beard. However it looks like there is some graying to the fins? That's rot.

Kanaplex and epsoms seem like a good idea at this point. I'd treat for two weeks with 100% water change at week's end before you continue treatment. It's also important we get water quality/temp swings under control too. I do notice your tank does not have a lid, which is not generally a good idea. You're not smoking, using any kind of candles, spray, air freshener or even spraying cleaning products into the air in that room are you?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #8 
Desensitizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
The filter isn't going to do much good unless you leave it on all the time. Can you not do the sponge outflow baffle? Pretty sure I showed you in your last thread.

We talked about feeding in the last thread so I would go review that.. worm only once a week fast day, increase pellets (protein based), etc.

What kind of lights are you trying to use? Plants need certain kind of light. You can't just put any regular bulb over it and expect it to grow. Also I wonder if they are too close to the tank.. Should be several inches above the water not right above. Also these 3 degree temp swings are a problem and moving the lights may help with this also.

All that decaying plant material could have caused a big ammonia spike. It's good you did a large water change. You may need to do another. You should also be using a siphon/gravel vac and not just draining water off the top. Can you see what the ammonia levels are now?

It's hard to see from your photos but the white belly/chin could just be a stress beard. However it looks like there is some graying to the fins? That's rot.

Kanaplex and epsoms seem like a good idea at this point. I'd treat for two weeks with 100% water change at week's end before you continue treatment. It's also important we get water quality/temp swings under control too. I do notice your tank does not have a lid, which is not generally a good idea. You're not smoking, using any kind of candles, spray, air freshener or even spraying cleaning products into the air in that room are you?
The bulbs are several inches elevated. I can elevate them a few higher, it could not hurt. I would say they are approximately 6 inches, give or take 1 depending on my estimate/water level at the time. The gravel vac is in the mail, along with a 6500k cfl.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/13W-T-2-Supe...item416434bed9
As you saw, I got a lid upgrade (see the later pictures in the thread). I am working hard on the temperature stabilization, a continual filter might decrease the temperature fluctuation even more. If I understood what you were saying about the filter baffle, you wanted me to put the filter sponge not as a prefilter but rather on the output inside the baffle, cut up in order to fit properly?
I think I can elevate it a little higher. I do not think he has fin rot, but I coould be wrong. I think its just my poor iphone camera.
In terms of feeding, I am doing a pellet a day, with part of a worm. What should I do specifically? just 2 pellets, then worm occasionally?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #9 
callistra

Worm should be fed no more than one once a week in replace of the pellets. If the worms are freeze dried they need to be thoroughly soaked in a cup with some tank water for 10minutes to thoroughly soften. Frozen cubes should be fed in small pellet size chunks - feed one pellet size chunk. Pellets should be a good quality protein based pellet with the first two-three ingredients being wholefish not fishmeal or wheat. Depending on the pellets you chose depends on how much you should feed, but one is too few. No matter what you feed he needs one fast day a week with no food.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #10 
Desensitizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Worm should be fed no more than one once a week in replace of the pellets. If the worms are freeze dried they need to be thoroughly soaked in a cup with some tank water for 10minutes to thoroughly soften. Frozen cubes should be fed in small pellet size chunks - feed one pellet size chunk. Pellets should be a good quality protein based pellet with the first two-three ingredients being wholefish not fishmeal or wheat. Depending on the pellets you chose depends on how much you should feed, but one is too few. No matter what you feed he needs one fast day a week with no food.
Tried the flow baffle with the cut up filter. No matter what happens, the moving water freaks him out. Current that alters him just sitting stresses the little guy, I can tell. I dont know what to do. It's not even everywhere in the tank (I don't think). Maybe I need a pre-intake filter and a cut up one baffling and plants in the front of it, idk. I turned the lights out and left it on, im gonna check on him to see if hes just freaking there in the dark. I don't like the idea of leaving it on but I want it to do the job it needs to do. The white definitely has a spot on his side though. And I feel like there are black spots almost in a line on his top fin. **** I hate seeing him upset or hurt. His eyes look really good though!

Last edited by Desensitizer; 01-10-2013 at 11:10 PM.