Originally Posted by Kim
Thank you for the post! Bleach is truly the ONLY product I would ever use to disinfect a fish tank; personally, if a hospital wouldn't use a certain product to disinfect equipment, then it is not effective enough to properly disinfect a tank (especially since water is such a good growth medium for bacteria!). It seems that there are many more problems associated with inadequate cleaning of tanks (especially after being taken down due to illness) than with bleach residue - it evaporates after all! Also, although vinegar is a commonly used alternative to bleach, it is really only a mild acid at best and is quite ineffective at killing bacteria.
It is quite alright. Not everyone knows how to use it, and I thought that this article would be pretty helpful :)
Originally Posted by MSG
Strange to read that article because the entire thing is common knowledge to me. I wouldn't have bothered to take the time to type it up.
What I do with "sanitizing" is based off of HACCP protocol. But most of the chemicals used in HACCP are not fish safe, that's why I just recommended bleach, because it's the most cost effective & one of the quickest methods
The type of vinegar that's better for sanitizing is a 20% solution, but it's very hard to locate. 10% vinegar is what you'll find in most retail outlets.
Keep in mind when you "borrow" someone's document, you should include a direct link to CREDIT the person who wrote it.
Otherwise it's plagiarism.
Moral of the story.....
Give credit to the writer.
It may be common knowledge to you,
but not everybody else. That is why I took the time to type it up. It's not plagiarism, as it didn't have copyright on it.
But, nonetheless, I thought I had no. Oh, well, easy mistake.