Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #11 
Kim

Thank you for the post! Bleach is truly the ONLY product I would ever use to disinfect a fish tank; personally, if a hospital wouldn't use a certain product to disinfect equipment, then it is not effective enough to properly disinfect a tank (especially since water is such a good growth medium for bacteria!). It seems that there are many more problems associated with inadequate cleaning of tanks (especially after being taken down due to illness) than with bleach residue - it evaporates after all! Also, although vinegar is a commonly used alternative to bleach, it is really only a mild acid at best and is quite ineffective at killing bacteria.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #12 
MSG

Strange to read that article because the entire thing is common knowledge to me. I wouldn't have bothered to take the time to type it up.

What I do with "sanitizing" is based off of HACCP protocol. But most of the chemicals used in HACCP are not fish safe, that's why I just recommended bleach, because it's the most cost effective & one of the quickest methods

The type of vinegar that's better for sanitizing is a 20% solution, but it's very hard to locate. 10% vinegar is what you'll find in most retail outlets.

Keep in mind when you "borrow" someone's document, you should include a direct link to CREDIT the person who wrote it.

Otherwise it's plagiarism.

Moral of the story.....
Give credit to the writer.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #13 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Thank you for the post! Bleach is truly the ONLY product I would ever use to disinfect a fish tank; personally, if a hospital wouldn't use a certain product to disinfect equipment, then it is not effective enough to properly disinfect a tank (especially since water is such a good growth medium for bacteria!). It seems that there are many more problems associated with inadequate cleaning of tanks (especially after being taken down due to illness) than with bleach residue - it evaporates after all! Also, although vinegar is a commonly used alternative to bleach, it is really only a mild acid at best and is quite ineffective at killing bacteria.
It is quite alright. Not everyone knows how to use it, and I thought that this article would be pretty helpful :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Strange to read that article because the entire thing is common knowledge to me. I wouldn't have bothered to take the time to type it up.

What I do with "sanitizing" is based off of HACCP protocol. But most of the chemicals used in HACCP are not fish safe, that's why I just recommended bleach, because it's the most cost effective & one of the quickest methods

The type of vinegar that's better for sanitizing is a 20% solution, but it's very hard to locate. 10% vinegar is what you'll find in most retail outlets.

Keep in mind when you "borrow" someone's document, you should include a direct link to CREDIT the person who wrote it.

Otherwise it's plagiarism.

Moral of the story.....
Give credit to the writer.
It may be common knowledge to you, but not everybody else. That is why I took the time to type it up. It's not plagiarism, as it didn't have copyright on it.

But, nonetheless, I thought I had no. Oh, well, easy mistake.

Credit: http://nippyfish.net/2009/03/30/how-...m-with-bleach/
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

I use a 50/50 for vinegar. 50% vinegar, mixed in with 50% hot hot water. Never done me wrong!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #15 
Bettalover89139

Thank you for posting this as I have to sanitize a tank my sick fish was in. He has passed and I would like to use the tank for another fish.
Bettalover89139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #16 
Jack Lantern

Bleach worked great for me. Let it sit overnight, re-filled with freshwater, let that sit overnight as a rinser.
Jack Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #17 
sunlight

Bleach is very useful but people are scared to use it because its very strong and kills everything (hence its use for sterility).

First you must know that there are lots of different bleaches out there. You must not use bleach with additives (many come mixed with detergent). So, find a bleach like Clorox Regular.

Next, the aquarium pieces to be disinfected should be rinsed with warm water to remove the particles and debris that builds with use in an aquarium.

You can disinfect the aquarium itself and hard pieces like glass thermometers, fish nets, certain gravel (though not if its porous), and hard plastic like the filter box (not the filter cartridge obviously).

Avoid heaters because people tend to submerge them and it will become very hard to remove the bleach from inside. You don't want bleach sitting inside there either as it may leach into aquarium water later or harm the heater itself.

You should make a 10% solution. This means 1 part bleach and 9 parts water to make a 10% solution. You can then dip the pieces and let them sit in the sink, bathtub, or on the counter for no longer than 10 minutes. Then rinse with warm water thoroughly. The equipment must air dry completely before entering an aquarium. This allows for the bleach to dissolve away and evaporate into its basic properties (its mainly just salt). Then rinse again with cold water (for good measure) before using in the aquarium again.

As an example example, I have a measuring cup with graduations marked in 1 ml increments. I use 10ml of bleach and 90ml of water. That's 1 part bleach in every 10 parts total (water + bleach). This creates a 10% Solution of bleach.

Also serenebeauty i know you have a snail. Make sure if you ever bring new snail or put anything live , even plants always quarintine it first. Snail may be doing good but it can be sick and contaminate the tank. I juat read similar post snail is fine but betta died.
Also even when you buy new betta try to quarantine him. You can have him in the hospital tank or in his main tank without gravel and plants for a few weeks just to make sure he is not sick and you not ending up disinfecting everything again.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

I also used the bleach before.
I found this instructions
go to wal-mart and get either 70% or 91% (I like the higher concentration) Rubbing Alcohol. Alcohol will sterilize everything including Mycobacteria if there's a threat of that. There's nothing else that will kill Myco's besides UV ray's but that usually takes longer. So Alcohol kills everything and will be your best friend in cleaning! i also find it's just easier to use since you can spray it directly on things where in bleach you have to mix with water and all and it's just a pain.

I use a spray bottle, make sure you label it as Alcohol, wouldn't want anyone getting into it that they shouldn't! And then spray everything, net's, cups, tanks, heater's, gravel too if you want, plants, the entire thing. Everything he's come in contact with, then rinse with hot tap water, let dry and you're good to go

Both ways are good .
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #19 
BettasRSweeties

I am a fan of using bleach and am glad you (Hopelessaddict101) posted this info. I use it all the time when disinfecting is a necessary means. HELPFULL HINT: After using bleach/warm water solution to clean items, and rinsing very well. You can refill aquarium with clean warm water, and add a dechlorinator (API stress coat,Prime) and let it soak for awhile to be on the safe side or for peace of mind. For heaters,plants, fill a large bowl or bucket with clean, warm water and you're water conditioner(ones that remove chlorine)and use the same process. Hope this will help out some.
BettasRSweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #20 
Echo1

Exclamation Disinfectant Advice

Hi, please advise. I've got a second hand Jewel 350L Corner Tank which has a Jewel 3d aquarium background: http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/Prod...iff-light.html . It's been in the back yard for a few days. I also used washing up liquid on it. I would like your opinion on what the best method to disinfect my tank would be as the the background has red spots and algae stains on it. I've read on the internet about the different ways to do this. Some people talk about using vinegar and other say use bleach. I can't find the bleach that's being discussed in the UK is there any alternatives please. Thank You
Echo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, clean, make safe, sanitize