Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #1 
thephantomdragon

Exclamation Sick little female!

I'm not sure what is up with this new female that I got about 5 days ago. I'm pretty sure it might be water mold or a fungus, since it might be a slight bit "fuzzy" when viewed from the top. It covers the whole left side of her face and is around her eye (I doubt it is popeye since there are no signs of that that I can see). There is also a patch on her back. I will try to get photos later. Currently she sits in a 1 gal bowl with a plant so she can easily access the top of the water since she doesn't want to swim around as much. She usually eats her pellet (since she is still so small).

I will write a longer desc. when I get a better chance (I'm currently at work)

Any help would be awesome, and any tips and medication that I need to get would be awesome.
thephantomdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Can you fill out the sticky?

How long have you had her?

I feel it could possible be columnaris... Considering there is a patch on her back, and it on her head. Since it is a fungal disease, the 1 gallon bowl will definitely come in handy.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #3 
thephantomdragon

Housing
What size is your tank? 1gal
What temperature is your tank? Not sure
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No (very warm apartment)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1 - 2 times per week (and as needed)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Brand Betta Safe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White patches on body, mostly face and back. When viewed from above the patch on her face seems to have 2 growths (best way to describe it).
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not really swimming around, staying at the top of the water making those sickly bubbles that we all hate to see. 8( She does sometimes interact with Tiny Tim (I moved his bowl near hers so she would have another fish to look at)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A day or two after I brought her home, she is solid black so I didn’t notice the spots right away until I shone a flashlight on her.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have not yet, not sure how to treat her so I haven’t.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I’m aware of yet.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, I’ve had her for almost a week

I will post images later this afternoon when I get a chance to take pictures. I'm currently at class and work, so it may take a few hours to get it up.

Do you know anything about columnaris?
thephantomdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Columnaris is contagious therefore everything you use for her must be sanitized thoroughly.

You will need to start an immediate medication, as since it is to that point we'll need to do everything we can. Maracyn and maracyn 2 combo is what I found worked very well. One packet each is for a 10 gallon tank... You may need to dissolve it in a large bucket, and go from there to safely medicate your betta.

It definitely sounds like columnaris... On my koi female you couldn't even see it. It took her before the patchy sores showed up.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #5 
callistra

Maracyn will not work for Columnaris because it is gram negative and Erythryomycin is gram positive. However, Maracyn II has some chance to work.. People just tend to throw them together because one is gram positive and one is gram negative and they figure together something is likely to work, but for this it won't be the Maracyn. Also neither would be my first choice, because they show some resistance to it. I'd try Kanaplex with Furan 2.

I wouldn't heat up the tank while your fish is sick but after he is well you will definitely need to find a way to warm him up to a consistent 78-80. You'll need an in tank thermometer and a heater - acclimate to warmer temp slowly.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote