Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #591 
Mandy Pandy

It's a work in progress. I have more plants coming in soon :D
Mandy Pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #592 
repru04

It looks great. Can't wait to see it fully planted.
repru04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #593 
cdouglas93

This is my 10g tank that I'm planning on turning into a sorority with 4 females and 4 dwarf cories. The reason the corner on the far right seems empty is because I have a few plants planted in that section as I am hoping to one day turn this into a planted tank instead of having it just silk. Any advice is appreciated.

cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #594 
cdouglas93

So here is a quesiton. Some of you might have seen that I want to start my own sorority but with a ten gallon I can only have 4 or 5 tops. Atm I have a little girl that my boyfriend had gotten me as a gift. After following this forum for a while I would rather rescue some female betta's or purchase them from some other non-petstore. I'm not looking to breed these females so that doesn't matter to me. I live in NE ohio.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #595 
Mandy Pandy

More plants!
Mandy Pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #596 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdouglas93 View Post
So here is a quesiton. Some of you might have seen that I want to start my own sorority but with a ten gallon I can only have 4 or 5 tops. Atm I have a little girl that my boyfriend had gotten me as a gift. After following this forum for a while I would rather rescue some female betta's or purchase them from some other non-petstore. I'm not looking to breed these females so that doesn't matter to me. I live in NE ohio.
I am putting 6 girls in my ten gallon. I have three right now being QTed in separate one gallon tanks that I ordered from Mo on this forum and I'm getting my other three from Chard56 on this forum. More girls is better... I also have a back up 4 gallon in case one of the girls doesn't work out.

If you do rescues and get sick looking girls at a pet store, you'll need to harass them to give them to you for free. Convince them that they are sick and they will die in the store if they don't give them to you. No reason in paying the pet stores so they can order more fish and take bad care of them...

The problem with rescuing fish for a sorority is that all of them need to be QTed and nursed back to health before you can put them in one tank and the girls in the pet store aren't usually socialized as much at birth as girls from private breeders, so you may get girls who are too aggressive for sorority life. If I were doing rescues, I'd keep them in separate tanks indefinitely... Getting younger healthy girls from a breeder is your best bet for females that are suited for sorority life.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #597 
cdouglas93

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I am putting 6 girls in my ten gallon. I have three right now being QTed in separate one gallon tanks that I ordered from Mo on this forum and I'm getting my other three from Chard56 on this forum. More girls is better... I also have a back up 4 gallon in case one of the girls doesn't work out.

If you do rescues and get sick looking girls at a pet store, you'll need to harass them to give them to you for free. Convince them that they are sick and they will die in the store if they don't give them to you. No reason in paying the pet stores so they can order more fish and take bad care of them...

The problem with rescuing fish for a sorority is that all of them need to be QTed and nursed back to health before you can put them in one tank and the girls in the pet store aren't usually socialized as much at birth as girls from private breeders, so you may get girls who are too aggressive for sorority life. If I were doing rescues, I'd keep them in separate tanks indefinitely... Getting younger healthy girls from a breeder is your best bet for females that are suited for sorority life.
This is great advice. Thank you. I have some time as I have to let my current tank cycle (The one I'm planning on turning into a sorority.) When I said rescues I really didn't mean sick ones but more towards betta that were in need of homes or unwanted. Guess this means I could very easily get a sick Betta. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #598 
AyalaCookiejar

I guess there are a lot of different interpretations if the word "rescue" :p I've heard, though, that the best females for a sorority are young siblings who have never been separated.
I chose to go with private breeders to have healthier, more socialized females, but I have seen some pet store bought sororities work out.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #599 
cdouglas93

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I guess there are a lot of different interpretations if the word "rescue" :p I've heard, though, that the best females for a sorority are young siblings who have never been separated.
I chose to go with private breeders to have healthier, more socialized females, but I have seen some pet store bought sororities work out.
It was truly my fault for not being more specific. I am atm talking to a women who has three sisters she is willing to sell me. So I am learning. haha
Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #600 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdouglas93 View Post
It was truly my fault for not being more specific. I am atm talking to a women who has three sisters she is willing to sell me. So I am learning. haha
Oh, lol. Sorry. Maybe that would be "adoption"? Haha.