Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #1 
asukabetta

The sad story of bettas - adoption hope

I thought bettas forgotten in a cup in a store was sad... Even sadder are bad betta breeders...

I was happy to know betta craze hit spain slowly and is becoming a popular hobby.

But people began breeding them for just profit rather than love for the hobby.

It all began when I became friends with a breeder. He keeps his tanks super clean, and breeds taking genetics into account to make beautiful hardy plakats. Also HMs but he likes plakats more.

Thanks to him I slowly met some other breeders. And they told me how they have their tanks etc--

I was horrified by some... while some are very good, some were terrible!!!
There were a few that just let their betta die when they didn't sell or they were uninterested in them by not changing the water anymore--

Some kept them in small tequila shot glasses...

It never occurred to me that there were such bad breeders. Seeing the bettas as nothing but money makers...

Thus I took it on myself to make a breeder adoption agency; I'm preparing a shelf with a heater cable integrated to hold at least 12 bettas at the time. For now I just use my water tank method-- those heater cables with adjustable temp isn't cheap... 65 euro. XD I might stick to the heater tank but I would like to try the dry cable method.

I offered these breeders to take in fish they didn't want and could not sell and find them homes under these conditions:

1- They cannot demand money from me when donating
2- Must be relatively healthy (No terminal diseases)
3- They cannot demand money from those who adopt their bettas
4- I can only hold 12 bettas at the time.
5- Breeders cannot demand their betta's back once donated

It's a non-profit thing I am offering. I make no money out of it, and neither do the breeders. Sadly I cannot save all the bettas they dispose of, but at least 12 bettas will find good homes and have clean warm water, medical care and anything they need till then.

I chose 12 even though my shelf can handle more because I'm considering the factor time/money. I want to give them proper care and do not wish to be overwhelmed and too tired to not be able to give them what they need.

Also I have bettas of my own that need my attention and love too :)

I shall be keeping a journal here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....73#post1383373

And here's some pics of the bettas of the breeders yes the quality of the pic is bad, but it's mostly the dirty water...
Attached Images

asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #2 
MSG

I would tell your cousin to come visit & swap her

2 of the culls so you can get your ORIGINAL HM betta back.

Just because someone is able to breed doesn't mean they CARE.

The 2 white ones look nice & the white female looks healthy. I would try to grab those if you haven't done so already.

Shot glasses would be 1oz. Those look like 8oz half pint drinking glasses.

What type of dry heat cable are you planning to use? I would be careful about using that to maintain a constant temperature for the water if no one else has tried it.

Who are your country are you planning to adopt out the fish to?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #3 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
2 of the culls so you can get your ORIGINAL HM betta back.

Just because someone is able to breed doesn't mean they CARE.

The 2 white ones look nice & the white female looks healthy. I would try to grab those if you haven't done so already.

Shot glasses would be 1oz. Those look like 8oz half pint drinking glasses.

What type of dry heat cable are you planning to use? I would be careful about using that to maintain a constant temperature for the water if no one else has tried it.

Who are your country are you planning to adopt out the fish to?
They are local breeders so there is no shipping involved and i said above some of the breeders had them in tequilla shot glasses not all of them, i saw them in their phone album i only took pics of the two breedersthat showed me their stock in person and im thinking of using one for reptiles with a thermostate 25w, my friend who uses this system is helping me.

And my cousin killed blueberry. I dont want to talk about it.

Last edited by asukabetta; 01-08-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #4 
sunlight

Oh asuka it is like that now, was like that many years ago and will be like that. I feel your pain. When i got my first betta i was happy with one , when he died i decide to buy another one . 4 stores in my area are just terrible. It braking my heart every time i go the the store. I just realized how abused that fish is. That how i end up with 5 of them . I used to go to the store that right next to my work. I hide from employee and change the water for all bettas there until manager caught me.
But with time i realized nothing you can do though. So i am trying to introduce betta to other people. My coworker has bettas, 2 neighbors, and a few people who came to my work and saw my betta at work fell in love and also have one. Of course i educate them and make sure they will give them all care they need. Unfortunately breeders will breed them , we will rescue them,store will buy them.It like vicious circle. Btw the same with dogs also what bother me. Like someone even wrote bettas are not expensive and stores don't even care about them . Store more care for the equipment that you buy for betta because it more expensive than betta itself. We can't save them all. I think this forum is wonderful and so many people who cares about those little beautiful bettas. Even though we all have our way to care about them we all try the best to help other people who have problem . I think it the best we can do to help to save them. It also breaks my hears when i see so many people can't even have betta because the one they bought keep dying I even saw post someone had 5 bettas die in the row.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #5 
sunlight

But i think you have wonderful idea and if you find people who really want and lave them it so wonderful. Btw i have one sad story so be careful when you find people make sure they really want and will take care of them. I had one girl at work ,she is not working here any longer. So she keep asking me for betta. So i bought her 6. And i saw how she religiously change water for one at work. So i was happy that she taking good care of them. She lived in my neighborhood also. Then she lost her job, she moved out from her house. I waited for like 5 month and decide to call her to say hello. And i was terrified find out that all 6 bettas she had died. So i assume she didn't took care of them if all of them died .
Any way i admire you for trying to save them.
And also asuka sorry i know i already told you that before when i spoke to you through the pm. Be careful if you going to have many betta because if one of them sick and you use the same equipment you will contaminate other fish . Even if non of them have any sickness symptoms . Sometimes it takes time for symptoms onset. So be careful.
Let me know if you need more nets, thermometers, food,i can try to mail you heater. If i can find one on sale for one gallon. Anything else?

sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #6 
asukabetta

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
But i think you have wonderful idea and if you find people who really want and lave them it so wonderful. Btw i have one sad story so be careful when you find people make sure they really want and will take care of them. I had one girl at work ,she is not working here any longer. So she keep asking me for betta. So i bought her 6. And i saw how she religiously change water for one at work. So i was happy that she taking good care of them. She lived in my neighborhood also. Then she lost her job, she moved out from her house. I waited for like 5 month and decide to call her to say hello. And i was terrified find out that all 6 bettas she had died. So i assume she didn't took care of them if all of them died .
Any way i admire you for trying to save them.
And also asuka sorry i know i already told you that before when i spoke to you through the pm. Be careful if you going to have many betta because if one of them sick and you use the same equipment you will contaminate other fish . Even if non of them have any sickness symptoms . Sometimes it takes time for symptoms onset. So be careful.
Let me know if you need more nets, thermometers, food,i can try to mail you heater. If i can find one on sale for one gallon. Anything else?

aww sunlight!! you are my sunlight XD you really have done a lot for me! I do have an issue with the heater you sent me though-- I forgot our plugs are different LOL. I went to get an adaptor hahahaha--

A friend is helping me with building a divided aquarium with non shared water, I am thinking of using 2 25w cable heaters. But just thinking cause it's expensive
Old 01-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #7 
MSG

Are you trying to use these radiant heat cable setups?

This product?

http://www.hydor.com/prodotti/show/famprod/11/list/3

I'm not sure if the 2x 25W kits would be sufficient for the tank/container you're using it for.

I'm curious to see what this divided infirmary looks like.

Does your friend already have one completely setup?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #8 
asukabetta

His shares the water, something I won't do obviously for the donated bettas. However I am making one of these for my own bettas :)