Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #1 
chandratheoscarlover

betta breeding help pls

i have two some deltas i breeded from halfmoons and i just wanted to know if its possible to have halfmoons by breeding those deltas...........i just wanted to know it.....
chandratheoscarlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:38 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The Punnet square theory says yes you can get some HM - the theory doesn't differentiate male - female. It only evaluates the genes in both individuals. The best explanation I can think of is that the 100% genetic equation is for ALL of the eggs in one spawn which IME averaged 1000 fry (fully grown female). Out of that only an average 100 - 300 fry will survive to adult . . . . which genes actually survived?

The myth is that if you use HM females x DeT males, yes you could get some HM. I go by this myth, though it's not 100% true/reliable. IME, I couldn't get perfect HM when using super DeT females though the male had excessive branching. But I got some HM from HM female and DeT male.

I would not suggest breeding DeT siblings if you have other options. IME the DeT will be "fixed" instead of the HM trait (less ray branching is dominant over excessive ray branching). But there is always the possibility of getting one or two perfect HM spread. I prefer to back breed offspring to HM parent hoping to make the HM genes "stronger". If possible use a HM female to a DeT male - you should at least get 20 - 30% HM (if the male was from a HM spawn).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #3 
chandratheoscarlover

but the HM trait will be in the deltas right and do the traits remain recessive or they get mixed(meaning a possibility of both the traits being expressed )......sorry for being dumb.....but i like to know...

Last edited by chandratheoscarlover; 01-04-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The only dumb questions are the ones you didn't ask. Lol

HM is recessive. HM x HM will not produce 100% HM. My best was about 60 - 70% (out of the surviving fry). So no matter what, the DeT will be dominant. IME DeT female x HM male = DeT fry. But HM female x DeT male can produce a few HMs. Poor HM genes will only produce 30 - 40% HM. That's why I suggested that you keep breeding your HMs instead of your DeT. Eventually the HM's number will rise.

When I bred DeT siblings from a HM spawn I only got DeT. So it's best to keep breeding the HM and put aside the DeT - if you can. Breed offspring to parent if you have to. Or introduce new HM genes if you can.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #5 
chandratheoscarlover

by breeding back the deltas with HM pure i have more chances of getting a halfmoon rather than interbreeding the deltas as the number of HM pure i can get are less and those fry surviving again.........limits the chances more..............have i understood something from what u said........
Old 01-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #6 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandratheoscarlover View Post
i have two some deltas i breeded from halfmoons and i just wanted to know if its possible to have halfmoons by breeding those deltas...........i just wanted to know it.....
HM is result of genetic or branching and quality water/care. Depending oh how close to HM your deltas are and how branched your female is is going to tell if you get HM's. If the female is not heavy branched, with a delta you will lose branching, not gain it. So you will not get the HM's. If you have the genetics there you can lose the HM with bad quality water.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandratheoscarlover View Post
by breeding back the deltas with HM pure i have more chances of getting a halfmoon rather than interbreeding the deltas as the number of HM pure i can get are less and those fry surviving again.........limits the chances more..............have i understood something from what u said........
Sorry, for a very late reply - yes you got that right.

I agree with Basement betta that females passes on more of fin form than the male. So it would be best to breed a HM female to a DeT male.