Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #1 
BettaLinz

Disinfecting tank after a case of dropsy?

My poor baby Sparky came down with Dropsy around 2 months ago. I went through tons of medicine, epsom salt, and did 10 gal water changes every day in hopes that he would get better. Unfortunatly, he passed away earlier today. I did everything I could for him and it broke my heart to see him go... I am just comforted by the fact that he is no longer in pain.

My question is, how should I go about disinfecting his tank before getting a new betta? The LAST thing I want is to have this happen again.
Thanks!
BettaLinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #2 
shellieca

Sorry you lost Sparky. I had a female in a community tank who died from dropsy back in November, I didn't do anything with the tank and everyone else is fine so I'm not sure you need to disinfect. However I would run carbon in the filter to clear out any left over meds. Someone else may have different advice.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

I disagree with not disinfecting it. Dropsy itself is not contagious, because it's not a disease... But generally, it is caused by some internal infection, which could be bacterial... Dropsy is caused by internal organ failure which is usually caused by something else. To be on the safe side, I'd disinfect the tank with a bleach/water solution. Approximately 10:1 bleach:water ratio, making sure to rinse several times and then let it sit out and dry completely and then rinse some more.

It could be possible that the dropsy was cause by some bacterial infection or internal parasites, so I'd disinfect it just in case.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #4 
eatmice2010

1+ to bleach tank
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote