Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #1 
adcx64

My new Betta and Aquarium (pics)

Hey guys!

New Betta owner here, and I just water to share my aquarium with you. I just added a live plant! The blue one is artificial. Its a 1 Gallon Tetra LED something

I have a few questions. Are there any precautions for having the plant in there? The live plant one has only been in for a day or so, and I've noticed my fish hanging around the bottom, but happily swimming around other spots randomly so I know he isn't cramped. However, he used to make a lot of bubble nests all day and I haunt voiced any, should I be concerned? The water is treated with AquaSafe.

I hope to really get involved in the Betta community, and I like the hobby as I don't have the money (I'm 16) for a larger tank.

This is Steve. Click to enlarge!
Attached Images

Last edited by adcx64; 01-11-2013 at 07:09 PM.
adcx64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #2 
Gen2387

Cute tank. No worries with the plant. I'm not a pro with plants, just starting myself but one thing I'd make sure of is that the plant is completely under water. I don't know a lot about them but if they're aquatic plants... they have to be underwater.

Only other thing you might want to look into is water temperature. I'd get a thermometer (they have those that cost like 2 or 3 $ at WalMart) and a small aquarium heater. Bettas are tropical so they need water between 75 and 80 degrees, and the water will always be a couple of degrees colder than the room they are in so without a heater it can be problematic, especially during winter. That could be one of the reason why he might be less active or less bubblenests. If the temp is too cold they are less active...

Have fun with your betta. They're AMAZING fish!!! People don't think you can get attached to a fish but it's totally false. I love my fishies!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #3 
adcx64

Tank you! I will definitely look into getting a small thermometer. The table my aquarium is on is near the heating vent, and the water actually stays pretty warm. I will add more water now to submerge the plant.

He might not be used to having another the new plant which means lack of bubble nests!

So glad I saved this guy from his tiny cup prison at PetSmart.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #4 
adcx64

An update: I added another cup of water and some more water conditioner, and a half hour later, he was blowing bubbles again. Something with the water level must have stressed him out.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

I'm 17 and pretty much all of my money goes to my fish :p
Bubblenests are not always an indicator of happiness, or health for that matter. Some people have bettas that only make bubblenests when they are sick! Some don't make bubblenests ever.

The new water may have perked him up, though. It's important to do water changes often. A one gallon tank is OK but the water needs to be changed often as ammonia will build up quickly. He would probably perk up even more with heat and a larger tank, but it is possible to give your betta a happy life with the resources you DO have. Setting up a new tank can get pretty expensive, but they are always rewarding :)

Edit: I also don't see a heater as an "optional" thing. He definitely needs one (as well as the plant). I would look into that before even worrying about anything extra.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #6 
adcx64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I'm 17 and pretty much all of my money goes to my fish :p
Bubblenests are not always an indicator of happiness, or health for that matter. Some people have bettas that only make bubblenests when they are sick! Some don't make bubblenests ever.

The new water may have perked him up, though. It's important to do water changes often. A one gallon tank is OK but the water needs to be changed often as ammonia will build up quickly. He would probably perk up even more with heat and a larger tank, but it is possible to give your betta a happy life with the resources you DO have. Setting up a new tank can get pretty expensive, but they are always rewarding :)

Edit: I also don't see a heater as an "optional" thing. He definitely needs one (as well as the plant). I would look into that before even worrying about anything extra.
Thanks! I will definitely look into a small heater. I plan on doing weekly water changes, and tomorrow will be one week and the water is just barely cloudy. i plan on removing, and rinsing the gravel.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

Removing and rinsing the gravel is great. However, a one gallon tank needs to be changed more than once a week. The reason being is that ammonia will build up. Ammonia is created by your fish and is harmful even in the smallest amounts. It is also colorless... The tank could look crystal clear and still have dangerously high ammonia.

However, you don't need to rinse the gravel and decor EVERY water change. Once a week is enough for 100% changes along with rinsing the gravel and decor. You should include at least one other water change (two to be on the safe side) of 50%. All you have to do is remove half of the water and replace it with conditioned water of the same temp.

During 100% water changes, he will need to be completely re acclimated.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #8 
adcx64

By "re-acclimated" do you mean he will act as if it is a new tank every time?

Also: How did you get that image in your sig?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah. You'll need to float his temporary holding cup in the tank to get the temperature to stableize and add some tank water to the cup a few times before releasing him back into the tank.

Go to your user CP at the top left of the page and there is a link on the left side that says "edit signature".
Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

That's a pretty neat looking 1 gallon tank

Is that an amazon Sword? If so, they can get pretty big but they seem like pretty hardy plants. I have 4 and haven't killed them off yet.

Ditto on the heater thing. However finding one that is small enough to fit into a 1 gallon may be a bit challanging as most heaters are tall. You should look for an adjustible one if you can. The Tetra ones are horrible and won't heat up a tank to over 72-74 and some of the smaller ones from other brands heat the water up way too high. The 25 watt Hagen elite is short and is adjustible. You may need to shop online to get it though.
http://www.afishybusiness.com/produc...FQ-f4Aod3lMAcQ

Do your parents have an ebay account? If so, ebay is a good plae to look for cheap decor and items like heaters. Amazon is a good choice too but alot of sellers jack up shipping
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote