Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

Personally, if you are doing a fish-in cycle with a sorority... I'd be extremely anal about the water parameters. Sororities need pristine conditions because if one girl gets sick... They usually all do. Sororities can be challenging but they also have a very delicate balance..

But then again, if your plants are thriving, you may not ever see ammonia in the tank...
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #12 
eatmice2010

looks amazing
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #13 
Firefly85

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Personally, if you are doing a fish-in cycle with a sorority... I'd be extremely anal about the water parameters. Sororities need pristine conditions because if one girl gets sick... They usually all do. Sororities can be challenging but they also have a very delicate balance..

But then again, if your plants are thriving, you may not ever see ammonia in the tank...
Yeah I know, I will more than likely test the heck out of the tank, plus i am trying really hard to be patient. I couldn't find any blue mickey mouse platy so I ended up with 5 bumble bee platy, just cute, and the fish in planted cycle begins, I also used so media from my established tank.
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #14 
Firefly85

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
looks amazing
thanks, it is a work in progress tho.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #15 
sunstar93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly85 View Post
Okay for anyone who is following this what would you do for bottom dewellers?
I son't think I will be moving the dainty corys to the 20 since they seem really happy in my 10 and I don't want to disturb them.

I am thinking either albino cory or panda cory? I don't want to kill them off either, so i probable won't add them till at least a month.
I used to have Albino cories, and I can tell you that they will love the sand substrate. Don't be surprised if you find them digging in it lol. Remember that the little cories will grow (even though they won't grow too big). If you decide after all to move them to your new 20, they would love you for it lol. More room to swim around. Peppered cories are pretty cool, as well as small emerald green cories (the ones that don't grow to be 5 inches long lol). My personal favorite is the albino Cory, love those little guys. I would wait and add them after you know your water is all the right operas because they can be sensitive little guys. But they will definitely add some life to your tank! (:
Also, love the way your tank is coming along!
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #16 
Firefly85

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstar93 View Post
I used to have Albino cories, and I can tell you that they will love the sand substrate. Don't be surprised if you find them digging in it lol. Remember that the little cories will grow (even though they won't grow too big). If you decide after all to move them to your new 20, they would love you for it lol. More room to swim around. Peppered cories are pretty cool, as well as small emerald green cories (the ones that don't grow to be 5 inches long lol). My personal favorite is the albino Cory, love those little guys. I would wait and add them after you know your water is all the right operas because they can be sensitive little guys. But they will definitely add some life to your tank! (:
Also, love the way your tank is coming along!
Thanks for he advice, I may just go with the albinos since they are readily available. I am thinking of adding a trio in a week or so, all my water paramiters have been great.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #17 
Firefly85

ok so an update. and some pic's, the plants all seem happy, sending out new roots.
I have been counting my fish morning and night, and checking water daily, sadly one female platy ended up out of water, found it dryed up and crusty behind the tank. this is the first fish since high school i have had comit fish suicide by jumping out of the tank.
I got a replacement today, which is currently having babies.
yay!

just another tank pic
Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #18 
Nothingness

Looks great...well done. be sure to pull that java fern out of the substrate and attach it to a rock or piece of decoration. It will rot in time if left burried
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #19 
Vizja13

Lovely tank!!!

I love Java fern, I started with one in my planted 5.5...soon my other fish will have to adopt some they're growing so fast. Least it keeps algae levels down a bit :P I usually put the stringy roots under a small stone until it grows itself into the substrate...which in the 5.5 is a fertilized gravel I can never remember how to spell the name of...Flourite? Or is that for teeth >.>
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #20 
Firefly85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
Looks great...well done. be sure to pull that java fern out of the substrate and attach it to a rock or piece of decoration. It will rot in time if left burried
Thanks, while I have been in the hobby for a long time i am rather new to keeping planted tanks.