Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #11 
BettaPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingWitty View Post
I figured this could be a fun discussion!
Sorry if a thread like this exists already.

Well my late Betta's name actually came from my 2 year old.
I had named him Moby, and she kept saying Murphy regardless of how many times I corrected her.
So we stuck with Murphy.
:)
Love it, my two year old named one of my fish too!

The first one was named Jack Sparrow because my son insisted that we get the pirate for the tank. The second one looks like he got splatter painted so I thought splash or picasso and when I asked my son which one he wanted to name it he said "splashcasso!" so I did a FB poll and asked people on here and it was a close vote but my son will only call him splashcasso so that is what we are sticking with.
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #12 
SomethingWitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaPirate View Post
Love it, my two year old named one of my fish too!

The first one was named Jack Sparrow because my son insisted that we get the pirate for the tank. The second one looks like he got splatter painted so I thought splash or picasso and when I asked my son which one he wanted to name it he said "splashcasso!" so I did a FB poll and asked people on here and it was a close vote but my son will only call him splashcasso so that is what we are sticking with.
I acutally did see your thread on here about your bettas name! By the time I saw it you had already chosen, but no matter... I think splashcasso is a winner! :)
SomethingWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #13 
BettaPirate

yeah, i had planned on giving it a few days to see where the votes landed but my son was pretty convincing, I was surprised that he pronounced it more clearly than most adults LOL!

I have already started picking out names for fish I don't even have, just in case ;)

Cat and Dog names I think people pick out before they get a pet so the name picks the dog or cat but with fish i think they pick their own names and tell us with their fishy telepathy hee hee
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #14 
SomethingWitty

That's really funny because I picked out the name Amephyre before I've even bought the little guy... Lol! Lilly pronounces it A-Murphy... because our last betta was named that lol.
Actually I went to the pet store today, and someone had snatched him up already. I knew I should have got him when I first saw him.
Now I'm on the hunt for a purple and red Betta so I can use the name Amephyre. Haha!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #15 
MollyJean

Most of mine are just named based on personality.. but Mary Jane was named because she's green, Rosie because she's pink. And Tidbit.. the name fit perfect, seeing as she's missing her tail. Just a bite of a fish.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #16 
SomethingWitty

Haha I like that, Tidbit.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #17 
Laki

I like Tidbit too. I don't know if the Canadian born- American owned franchise Tim Hortons made its way to you yet but they sell "donut holes" as TimBits. I always loved that name. And Tim Hortons is like iconic in Canada , even though their coffee sucks lol

Anyway, as for a purple and red betta- there are members here who regularly sell bettas from their own spawns. Shipping is a lot cheaper in USA but the price depends on the buyer, if you want to pay for the fish + shipping. I think the color variation you're looking for is called Salamander (google search salamander betta)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #18 
osromatra

My first was turquoise colored, so I dubbed him Turk.
Second one, I wanted to carry on the color-inspired tradition, and he was more of a true blue, so I named him Azul.
Our current one, he isn't one color per se, and I felt like he was pretty unique, and his coloring reminded me of a sci-fi character we love, so we named him after that character- Ka D'Argo from Farscape. I'm tempted to get a tank started for a female for him, a steel blue and white one, and name her Chiana, after the character's love interest.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #19 
Laki

Love those names osoro!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #20 
Jiirim

Pongo: He has one fin that hides a white patch with black spots, so we were inspired by the soot scene in 101 dalmations.

Pongo's guppies: Jaws stole food right out of pongo's, well, jaws.
Comet is the fastest and was bought right after a meteor shower happened over my house
Flippy, flipped his crap the whole time I was driving home after buying him.

Neville: Adopted from a friend who has a harry potter obsession.

Azul: Bright blue colors and I didn't want to just call him "blue" so I named him blue in spanish.

Yukon Cornelius: I finally bought my dream plakat around Christmas, so we named him after a character in the old Rudolph claymation film.

Lemon: Her fins were so bright a yellow when I first got her (before she marbled) that they looked neon.

Finn: He was found in a community tank at walmart and had his fins shredded by neon tetras. A friend named him Finn out of irony.
Jiirim is offline   Reply With Quote