Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #1 
Billythebetta

New and worried

So i just got a Betta fish for the first time and first thing i noticed was when i first got him his color was pale and he was really Pretty. (Now i think he is still pretty) But the coloring of Billy just doesn't seem right. then a few days ago i noticed that Billy had a bump though i really didn't worry about it because i didn't get a book called "the manual of fish health" but once i started flipping through the pages i kind of got really really worried. None of the pictures i saw looked like it and when i read though the ones talking about a bump it really didn't seem like it... finally today i felt like it was the last straw. I saw something weird near the gill and the fin.... and pictures will be added. Less than a week ago we did a full tank cleaning and added in four betta plants (one was fully grown the other three still a seed) Still he is very active and alert. He eats when i put in food. From the standpoint of food and being active he seems fine, it's just the bumps and the color that worries me..... any Ideas?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gal.
What temperature is your tank? Rests at 76 78 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes Terta HT10 50W Submersible Heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 pellet every so often a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1/2
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta safe conditionar, 100% Betta Care Kit with Aquarium Salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? 5-N1 testing strips

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.8
Hardness: 0
Alkalinity: 40

(according to the lable it says its fine)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bump near tale and bump near gill and fin. And coloring
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? A little bit more active
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Three four days for the bump. Color started changing since he was put into the tank
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? Dont know, two weeks (12/28/12 was when bought)

http://s1296.beta.photobucket.com/us...fda5c.jpg.html

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5be0b44f.jpg
Billythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #2 
callistra

testing strips are very inaccurate. If you want to test your water, use drops kit.

Temp swings are hard on bettas. Do you know why yours is jumping around 2 degrees? If your heater won't hold a stable temp, I'd buy another one. To help avoid swings, make sure your betta is on an interior wall away from exterior doors and windows, and also any vents.

In a tank this size you need two water changes a week - one 50% and one 100%. The 100% should include a thorough rinsing of gravel and all decor.

With pellet like that 2-4 pellets a day (broken up into two small feedings) with one fast day a week is good practice

The aquarium salt should not be added except when treating actual illness and then only for a maximum of 10 days a time.

All I see is a slightly round belly. What color is his poop?

Water changes without shock:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.

Last edited by callistra; 01-12-2013 at 04:35 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #3 
Elsewhere

I won't be any help here, I am terrible with fish disease, but I must say- his colours! Absolutely stunning! I hope someone on here helps you out and your little guy gets better soon!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #4 
Billythebetta

When i was looking at the temp i couldn't see the actual number color thing i could slightly see the color shade, but looking at the device in light it's at 76, but the 78 is also high lighted....according the the manual on it it said that green is the actual temp. as for the heater, it's suppose to regulate the water temp and i've only seen it go off in the morning when all my lights are still off.

The poop it looks like a light brown color
Old 01-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #5 
callistra

Those little stick on thermometers aren't very accurate. Suggest using an in tank thermometer.

I would just change your feeding habits and increase your water changes as outlined above. I don't think it's anything to be concerned with
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #6 
Billythebetta

okay, thank you for the advice :)