Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #11 
Irishdancer

I had to run errands today, and one of them was turning in a job application at a store practically next door to the pet store, so of course I had to go in and see if my fish was still there. He wasn't (REALLY hoping that means someone bought him and not that he passed away), but they had a lot of really pretty halfmoons. So I called my Mom and asked how much trouble I'd be in if I bought a new fish.

This store doesn't have any really good tanks so I just bought him a 1.5 gallon Tetra for now. Unfortunately it didn't come with the plants like it used to, so right now his tank just has the bare necessities, but I'll get it fixed up for him later. It's a whole lot better than the little cup he had at the store. And aside from what looks like some slight ammonia burns on his tail, he looks to be in good health.

[IMG][/IMG]
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #12 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdancer View Post
I had to run errands today, and one of them was turning in a job application at a store practically next door to the pet store, so of course I had to go in and see if my fish was still there. He wasn't (REALLY hoping that means someone bought him and not that he passed away), but they had a lot of really pretty halfmoons. So I called my Mom and asked how much trouble I'd be in if I bought a new fish.

This store doesn't have any really good tanks so I just bought him a 1.5 gallon Tetra for now. Unfortunately it didn't come with the plants like it used to, so right now his tank just has the bare necessities, but I'll get it fixed up for him later. It's a whole lot better than the little cup he had at the store. And aside from what looks like some slight ammonia burns on his tail, he looks to be in good health.

[IMG][/IMG]
That's cute hehe! Did you get into much trouble? :P
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #13 
Irishdancer

Not from my Mom. She told me not to make a big deal about him in front of my Dad though. I know he saw me carrying the tank inside from my car, but he hasn't said anything yet.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #14 
Hopelessaddict101

Aw oh I hope you don't get in too much trouble :) My dad doesn't really mind about my pets - well, if he does, he hasn't said anything.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #15 
Irishdancer

My parents like that I have Bettas, they just don't like that I have so many because they feel that I spend too much money and space in my room on them. But my Mom will actually come in my room and talk to them when she gets bored, and my sisters love helping take care of them, so it does feel like they're part of the family instead of just mine.

I think the main problem is just that I owe my parents some money, and so my Dad doesn't like seeing me come home with new purchases because that makes him worry that I'm not keeping an eye on my bank account.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #16 
Hopelessaddict101

Oh.. I get you. Maybe you could sit him down and explain? :)
Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #17 
Irishdancer

I'm mad at my parents right now. They seem to think that the fact that I don't have any job offers yet is because I'm "not trying hard enough". I've filled out lots of job applications, and I'm pretty sure that the reason no one is interested in hiring me is because I don't have much work experience, and they're the ones who said I couldn't get a job as a teenager because they wanted to keep me at home. And I hate that my family is always fighting with me over money when they're loaning my twin sister more and more money all the time without complaining about it or guilt-tripping her at all, just because she's still in school and I graduated.

Anyway, the fish are all doing well. Sherlock seems to be settling in pretty well. He doesn't get as excited over his food as my others, but he started eating the day after I bought him. His heater doesn't seem to be working as well as the others, though. His and Anakin's tanks both seem to be a few degrees cooler than the others. I hope I don't need to get the heaters replaced.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #18 
Hopelessaddict101

Hmmm... I can understand you.
Jobs are pretty hard to get, nowadays. Especially where I live - I haven't heard back from ANY of them. I totally get what you mean. Employees are really fussy. Your parent's need to understand that. I hope you can get one one day - just don't give up trying =]

Oh, cute about the food thingy. Maybe turn the heaters up a tad more?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #19 
Irishdancer

The last week has been extra stressful. I don't know if I should say the details on the internet, but my Mom had some health problems and had to go to the ER at the beginning of the month. She seemed to be okay so they sent her home pretty quickly, but she just got tests back and it turns out it was something serious. Her life isn't in danger anymore, but she'll need medication and follow-up doctor appointments. It's pretty scary though, because a friend of the family had a more serious case of the same thing a couple months ago and has been in the hospital ever since.

Also all this job stress is really getting to me. My Mom got mad at me this morning and I had a meltdown. I really don't know what my parents expect of me, because one minute they'll be telling me that I shouldn't be expecting a job so soon, and the next they'll be saying I'm a failure for not already having a job.

But anyway...Sherlock made his first bubblenest while we were all at church Sunday morning. I'm glad I got a picture because he totally destroyed it that afternoon. And Anakin's been a little stinker, he's figured out how to knock the heater off the suction cup, and then he'll squeeze himself into the place where the heater fits into the suction cup. It's a tight fit and I was worried he'd get stuck, so I just took the suction cup out. I think he's reached his pre-teens, because he's giving me quite an attitude about that.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #20 
Irishdancer

Sorry to be a pain but I really need to rant right now...

1) I'm having a hard time keeping my tank temperatures at a good level. They all have heaters, but my room has a drafty window and is pretty cold, and the heaters just don't seem to be strong enough. I've never had to use them 24/7 before, but obviously I'm going to have to do that now. I've got them all on at full power, and the water is still taking forever to get warmer.

2) I've spent the last few days delivering phone books. That's got to be the worst job ever. I worked 8 hours the first two days and 7 hours today, but I'm only getting paid about one hundred dollars (and that's with gas compensation included). So that's like $4 an hour, which is half of minimum wage. And this was a hard job, too. My parents were getting mad at me for complaining, but I've got bruises all over my legs and ankles and my back is sore because I've had to do so much heavy lifting. And it's way too cold to spend that much time outside.

3)My sister and I were really hoping to go on a dance-related trip together next month, but I don't know how can I afford it. I'm stubbornly refusing to give up, but I've done the math over and over and the only way I can pay for it is if my parents help me with other expenses like car insurance, until I get a job. And they've made it clear that since they loaned me some of the money for the car, I'm not a position to be asking any favors from them.

4) I always used to get so mad at my mother because all she ever thought about was money. I promised myself I'd never be like that, but somehow I ended up being EXACTLY like that. I guess being a grown-up just does that to people.