Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #11 
McMarvel

Update: Earlier today when I noticed Stonewall to be recovering, I gave him just one pellet as a test. A few hours later his SBD appears to worse than ever, he is floating on his side with no energy, he is extremely swollen. Is it possible that the brand of pellet I've been using could be adding to these issues? Additionally upon closer inspection his fin shredding seems to resemble a more classic case of fin rot on his other fins.

It's time for a water change so I'm wondering about starting an aquarium salt treatment for the fin rot? Or would starting epsom salt be more beneficial because it's the preferred treatment for the SBD? Is it possible to treat both conditions at once, and if not which should I be attacking first?

Also, I noticed in one of the stickies a warning against using Bettafix, which has always been my go-to along with AQ salt in the past for treating tail biting or fin rot. What should I be using instead?
McMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #12 
callistra

Those pellets are good. That's not the problem.. except you've been under feeding. I would feed minimum of 4-5 daily, but not right now with his issues.

What color is his poop? Does he have scales sticking out?

OFL covered the best course of conservative/natural treatment back on the first page. I'd do this.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #13 
McMarvel

Hi Callistra!

His poop appears normal, and his scales do not stick out, though upon closer inspection the fin shredding/rot is a lot worse than I originally thought. His edges of his fins are naturally black though now they look ragged and uneven when before they had crisp lines. There are quite a few areas where the fin splits completely down to the body, but without large gaps, like someone took a pair of scissors and cut into them. I'm trying to get some good pictures taken and uploaded right now to help you guys out.

I took a look at the post by oldfishlady. I had wanted to just try fasting for a few days before I resorted to this, but we are obviously at the point where this treatment is absolutely necessary. I can get to the store tomorrow to pick up epsom salt and tannin. (Well, actually I don't know where to go to pick up tannin, could someone help me out with that?) However I'm concerned that she mentions using a specific temperature in order for this treatment to work and I've been to all my local stores looking for an appropriate heater and have yet to find one, meaning that since I have to buy it online I'll have to deal with waiting a few days for shipping. Right now I'm heating up water in the microwave, putting it into water bottles, and then putting them into my tank to warm things up, but this only works when I'm at home and I have no control over the temperature when I have to go to work. Can I do the treatment using this method or do I need a more stable warmer temperature?

What can I do until I can get to the store tomorrow or if I need to wait until my heater ships, what can I do until it gets here?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #14 
McMarvel

I managed to get some pictures of Stonewall taken. I couldn't figure out how to add them to the post but they are on my profile. Hopefully they help, sorry my camera isn't great quality.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #15 
callistra

Definitely do not add heated water to the tank. All you're doing is causing lots of temp swings which are hard on fish and can cause shock/death. He's better off a stable cooler temp than dealing with constant swings.

Splits in fins are normally caused by over flaring or being ripped on something. Have you checked his tank using pantyhose to make sure nothing catches?

ETA: I see a little spit but his fins look ok otherwise. However, poor guy must be crazy stressed as he's lost all his color.. Some stability with temps and ph is important. Warming him up will help but only with a proper heater that will hold temp.

Last edited by callistra; 01-12-2013 at 08:43 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #16 
McMarvel

Callistra,

Thank you! I'll stop the hot water bottle right away and just wait until I get a heater. I tested all my plants before adding them but I'll take them all out just in case.

Also, that "no color" grey that you're seeing actually is his color. He might look a bit different in the cup vs his tank but it's only from a difference in lighting. The blue coloration you see in his healthy tank pictures are entirely the reflection of his pebbles.

Last edited by McMarvel; 01-12-2013 at 09:04 PM.