Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #451 
LittleBettaFish

Haha my unimaculata are the worst. They have recently discovered the astonishing ability to jump. So now all I hear is pat pat pat as they jump up and smack their heads against the glad wrap. I think it was because once I accidentally got some pellets stuck to the plastic and a couple jumped up to get them down.

It has been cold at night here too but on one of the coldest nights the tank was only down to around 17 degrees so it wasn't ridiculously cold as my wild species can be kept from low to mid twenties.

Strohi are so nice. I actually really regret selling my pair on. Betta foerschi are also very similar in type and personality.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #452 
Setsuna

My first imbellis was this guy

Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #453 
babystarz

Speaking of jumping, my male patoti got a little too excited about the bloodworm I was offering him last night and jumped out of his tank. He flopped all the way behind the shelf where I couldn't reach him, then flopped around it and back over to me where I was able to capture him in a sheet and deposit him in his tank, where he promptly resumed begging for food. Thankfully I anticipated this happening and the tank is only an inch off the ground, so he was a bit fuzzy but no worse for the wear.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #454 
LittleBettaFish

I think that complex has the worst jumpers in it. When I did water changes on my unimaculata tank I had to snap the lid down as fast as I took it off because the female would jump out at me otherwise.

Generally they bounce back pretty well from jumping out as you can see. I have fish fall a couple of metres to the ground and they are always fine. I hate picking up the bigger guys with bare hands though. I don't like when they start flopping around.

Got a new 900mm shelf for my macrostoma and unimaculata/ideii tanks. Going to set-up the macrostoma tank this morning and pick them up this afternoon. Luckily I am right near the hose so I will not have to cart 100L of water down there in buckets. Also got some perspex that my dad is going to cut up today so I can divide my ideii tank and give Mr unimaculata some space to move around.

Didn't realise it was going to be so cold over these two days. It was freezing last night and then today is only going to be 22 degrees. Poor palangkarensis. I saw the male last night though and he was looking surprisingly good. Best colour I have seen on him. Need to re-do that whole tank and remove the stupid tadpoles that are in there currently.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #455 
LittleBettaFish

Persephone juveniles

Unimaculata fry/juveniles

Old 01-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #456 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Persephone juveniles

Unimaculata fry/juveniles

I think they are ready to sell
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #457 
LittleBettaFish

The persephone are all staying with me. Gonna put them in a 3fter tank. Think they are all female. Although a male would be nice. Some are still quite small.

The unimaculata are only an inch long. I think the photos make them look a lot bigger than they are. I will be keeping hopefully a female from them and selling the rest.

Unfortunately came home to find two unimaculata fry dead on my shelf. Don't know how they got out through the glad wrap. So sad. I haven't told my mum as they are 'her' babies. Looks like one was my really nicely coloured up male too!

Also got my macs home into their new tank and 'rescued' a sick and sad rutilans for $15 while I was there too. Looks like it had ich so keeping it well quarantined from the rest of my fish. Poor thing scoffed down all the live blackworms I put in for it. I have such a soft spot for rutilans.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #458 
LittleBettaFish

Doing a happy dance right now. Have a nest full of eggs from my aggro new burdigala pair and my palangkarensis inside pair who I have been waiting on for ages to spawn have a whole heap of eggs in their nest and are still going at it!

It's so cold outside and one pair of my palangkarensis are outside. The tank water feels quite chilly and I couldn't see them in there. Wasn't until I totally tore the tank apart that I saw them looking no worse for wear. Since it's going to be warm up over the next few days I will leave them in there. Think I might sell them now my other pair have spawned as I don't need two pairs floating around.

Got some photos of my palangkarensis spawning. They spawned in a difficult spot and for some reason my glass kept looking really dirty even though I cleaned it. Anyway as you can see the male is superb.

Then this is my burdigala's impressive nest. That is the male's tail hanging out in the first photo.

Last edited by LittleBettaFish; 01-13-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #459 
babystarz

Congrats on the spawns LBF! And your persephone have gotten so big, it's hard to believe they used to be tiny frylets.

I found a dead ocellata fry in the tank last night :( I know it's to be expected but since I didn't lose any in the first few weeks I thought I was past the random death point. I have no idea what happened, they have all been eating well and none looked sickly. There are no obvious clues on the fry's body, although it looks like it died at least 24 hours ago as it's white and when I found it one of the MTS was snacking on it, which wouldn't happen until a later stage of decomposition.

I need to think about splitting the fry into two 20 long tanks soon anyway, they are close to outgrowing the 10g nursery tank.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #460 
LittleBettaFish

Sorry to hear that Babystarz. It's frustrating when some keel over for no apparent reason, or do so after the usual 'danger' period has passed.

They grow fast the fry out of that complex. How many did you end up with again? You'll end up having ocellata fry coming out of your ears!

My rutilans are growing rather painstakingly slow. Although some show full colouring, they are only around 1/2 an inch big in most cases. Going to be a loooong time before they are ready.