Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #1 
jessp118

Filter current Bothering my betta?

So I have an old 10 gallon filter I'm using now with my new tank. I'm worried that its making too much current even with pre-filter sponge on and a baffle. is there any way to reduce the current more?

Video
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

From the video it looks like your tank is pretty barren. I would add more silk/real plants & maybe another cave structure or 2. It'll help give him more calm areas in the tank, break up the current.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #3 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
From the video it looks like your tank is pretty barren. I would add more silk/real plants & maybe another cave structure or 2. It'll help give him more calm areas in the tank, break up the current.
I just got the tank yesterday. I do plan on getting more plants and maybe a driftwood structure. I also am not going to leave that filter on when i am not around.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #4 
sandybottom
Reference Team

rubber band a sponge to the front spillway of your filter. use one with medium to large pores. or do the diy soda bottle baffle. he looks like he was going for a ride.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessp118 View Post
I just got the tank yesterday. I do plan on getting more plants and maybe a driftwood structure. I also am not going to leave that filter on when i am not around.
Don't don't do that unless you want to have problems with your cycle. The filter should run 24/7 except when doing a water change. If you have the plastic bottle baffle make sure its wrapped underneath the outflow.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #6 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
rubber band a sponge to the front spillway of your filter. use one with medium to large pores. or do the diy soda bottle baffle. he looks like he was going for a ride.
I have a soda bottle baffle on it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Don't don't do that unless you want to have problems with your cycle. The filter should run 24/7 except when doing a water change. If you have the plastic bottle baffle make sure its wrapped underneath the outflow.
I have two filters going right now. I just bought more carbon for my smaller one (clear intake tube). I wanted to try to kick start the cycle by using a filter that has BB on it already.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #7 
itsuki

is that a tetra whisper filter?? i have that too. your betta does seem to be putting extra effort into swiming. mine moves abit more freely then your does but it seems yours has longer fins.

bigger decor that blocks off surface and under surface water current will be a welcomed addition to your bettas tank. i wouldnt be surprised if hanging out by big decor will become his favorite spot. plus he can rest there and then have more energy to swim to the other parts of the tank. i will upload a video of my tank for reference tonight if you are interested.

the rubberband around the outflow sounds like a good trick i will try this too.
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #8 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsuki View Post
is that a tetra whisper filter?? i have that too. your betta does seem to be putting extra effort into swiming. mine moves abit more freely then your does but it seems yours has longer fins.

bigger decor that blocks off surface and under surface water current will be a welcomed addition to your bettas tank. i wouldnt be surprised if hanging out by big decor will become his favorite spot. plus he can rest there and then have more energy to swim to the other parts of the tank. i will upload a video of my tank for reference tonight if you are interested.

the rubberband around the outflow sounds like a good trick i will try this too.
Yes that is a whisper 3i on the left. He never had a problem with the current from the whisper. I have the outflow at water level. The problem filter is on the right. He seems to be getting stronger at swimming everyday. I have found that the water is calm in all the corners. I will be getting some decor Friday to put in the tank.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #9 
itsuki

jessp118 i have a question for you. i have a 10g tank as well with my tetra whisper, do you think that the whisper alone is good enoughl to clean your tank?? mine seems to get dirty pretty fast, im thinking 10g is too much for the whisper to handle, is that why you have that extra filter??
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #10 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsuki View Post
jessp118 i have a question for you. i have a 10g tank as well with my tetra whisper, do you think that the whisper alone is good enoughl to clean your tank?? mine seems to get dirty pretty fast, im thinking 10g is too much for the whisper to handle, is that why you have that extra filter??
You would have to have the whisper that is rated for 10g. I have two filters to kick start the BB. The whisper 3i has BB from the 3.5g. The other filter is rated for 10g and I'm transferring the BB to that one. This is also temporary so that I use all the carbon filters i have left for both filters. I plan to buy a new 10g filter with a bio wheel. If your tank is getting dirty fast, then you might need more water changes.

From what I heard, the tetra whispers are not that good at cleaning the water. They are great for circulating the water and removing toxins.