Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #1 
LuvMyBetta21

betta sorority vs betta & tank mates

So I've been toying around with the idea of trying a betta sorority or having a single betta with tank mates. I was curious about other peoples opinions and experiences with either. As of right now I don't have a new tank yet. I only have my male betta in a 5.5 gal. I don't want to overstock his tank and besides he seems happy by himself

I was thinking of getting a 10-20 gal tank. I've never had more than one fish at a time. Also I plan on using live plants rather than silk plants. Idk if that makes a difference. I like the idea of a single betta with tank mates to have more variety of fish but a betta sorority is cool also. Any advice, pros and cons to either is greatly appreciated
LuvMyBetta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If you have a choice and able...get the 20gal-with the 20gal long being even better-especially if you want to have live plants. You get a bit better light penetration through the water since the long is a bit shallower-Not to mention the long foot print provide more surface area for swimming, hard scape and plants.
IMO/E-the 20gal long is more suited for either a sorority and/or other species of schooling fish for a community planted tank.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #3 
LuvMyBetta21

I don't want to rush into anything, so a 20g is definitely doable. I'm going to start saving up and do more research so I go in well prepared :) How many would fit comfortably and safely in a 20g long?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #4 
Phaydra

I would hit up Petco while they still have the dollar a gallon sell. I just got a 20 long there for $20. I wish I had space for the 40 breeders they had for sell but maybe I can get one next year. Another option is Local classifieds and Craig's list. I also found plain black wire shelving units for a reasonable price at Target. I got the once rated for 350lb a shelf. Cost me $34 with tax. Tax should run you a bit less in PA though.

Last edited by Phaydra; 01-11-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #5 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
I'd go with sorority. You can put eh.... 6-8 females and some corydoras catfish in there too.

EDIT: above fish in a 20 gallon only
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #6 
homegrown terror

you could try something like what i've done here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=123540 and use the main tank for a sorority, and the central tank as a male home. just provide plenty of cover between the two so the male won't be constantly overstimulated.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #7 
LeoTheLakerBetta

If you want a variety of fish in your tank and you really like the idea of a sorority, you can go with a hybrid of the two. Like fishy said you can get some females and some corydoras too.

If you don't mind getting a bigger tank so you can have more fish in there, and if you don't mind getting a used tank, Craigslist is great if you be patient and wait for a really good deal. You can find 29 or even 40 gallons for 75 bucks or so that come with almost everything.

Good luck with everything!
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #8 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheLakerBetta View Post
If you want a variety of fish in your tank and you really like the idea of a sorority, you can go with a hybrid of the two. Like fishy said you can get some females and some corydoras too.

If you don't mind getting a bigger tank so you can have more fish in there, and if you don't mind getting a used tank, Craigslist is great if you be patient and wait for a really good deal. You can find 29 or even 40 gallons for 75 bucks or so that come with almost everything.

Good luck with everything!
i found a 30 gallon (with hood, fliter, heater, gravel, net, thermometer and a few decorations) for $50 on there last august. buying new, the heater alone probably would have cost that much. also, you can have some varieties of community fish in your sorority, ours has a molly, three platies, two ADF's and three mystery snails along with the girls.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #9 
LuvMyBetta21

@homegrown terror that's an awesome tank!

@LeonTheLakerBetta I'm definitely going to wait. The more time I spend on this site the more I realize I want a bigger tank. A friend of mine has a 40g breeder tank with a stand for $100. I'm going to shop around a bit more but if I can't find a better deal then I'll take that off her hands. I don't plan on getting started until spring so I have to shop around and see what pops up on craigslist.