Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #1 
HopeNicholson

New baby, trying to figure out its gender and type!

Got my first baby betta almost two weeks ago! Of the 7 babies at the store this one had no real color and had a dirty cup, so I snatched the poor thing up. It's showing small signs of color now but who knows what color it'll end up! I'm mostly curious to know what type of betta it might be......and since I couldn't find any examples online of betta baby pics I thought I'd share and see if anyone else might have an idea. It's ventral fins are pretty long so I suspect it to be a male, maybe a veiltail. Until it grows up more and I can figure out more about it I've decided to keep it nameless.....thoooooough the temporary name Reading Rainbow has stuck some since the colors on its fins change from blue, green, and red depending in the angle you see it at =]
Attached Images

HopeNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #2 
Myates

Aww a cutie.. looks to be a VT, but could be wrong.. looks to have longer ventrals.. but again, sometimes you can't tell until they are older, as some males will keep shorter fins until almost a year and then have a big growth spurt lol.

Make sure to keep his water around 82-84, and feed high quality growth food at least 3x a day - NLS Grow is good, live foods are better... water changes need to be done 2-3x the amount as an adult as they give off a growth stunt hormone, so at least a partial change every other day or even every day.

Good luck with him/her, so much fun to watch them grow :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #3 
HopeNicholson

Thanks! Yea im feeding it several times a day and indeed doin partial changes every other day. I do wanna pick up some food that encourages growth, I'm gonna try and stop by the petsmart near me tomorrow to see if they carry any. But yea my baby seems to have sprung to life the past couple days so I'm happy I'm doing well caring for it =] can't wait for it to grow more!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #4 
sandybottom
Reference Team

male vt. long ventrals.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #5 
aemaki09

IDK about it being a male. all my female VT's have had ventrals just as long if not longer than their anal fins, but its definitely a VT.
Goodluck with the baby!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #6 
HopeNicholson

Smile

Update!

Its fins are growing a biiit more and now have some color, its body color is still a mystery though! Im noticing a few scales shimmering a blue or green, but who knows what color it'll end up! Still hard to figure out which type it'll end up though, still considering Veiltail but I guess we'll know for sure soon enough!

I'll have to get pictures of it in its new tank sometime! It'll probably start growing into it a bit more now that it has more space
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #7 
Gen2387

Awwwwww what a cutie pie! I'm against petshops selling babies but at least the people here that adopt them know how to take care of them. He/She is lucky to have found a good home!
I can't wait to see what he/she is going to look like later on!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

male VT.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #9 
Skyewillow

Your baby is a cutie! The body AND find together make me want to say "Boy". I have a VT female with long finnage, but she has that girly form. lol

It'll be much easier as your fish grows up.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I think it's a male vt. Long ventrals and two rays. Good on you for adopting him!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote