Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I don't think her spine is deformed, just not perfect. Especially with breeding to a healthy male you should have no problems.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #12 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I don't think her spine is deformed, just not perfect. Especially with breeding to a healthy male you should have no problems.
Depends on the reason. Water and nutrition can be corrected. But if mycos related she will just pass that to the offspring. And you have to know the line does not have bumpy top lines to say it is water or nutrition.. because it is also genetic. And you really don't want a bunch of fish that look like that. unless good food and clean water clear that up, not worth breeding.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #13 
Vizja13

I looked at the girl's spine today, there is nothing wrong with it. Probably just the picture.

I wish i could get breeder bettas for this, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable shipping fish, and I think my parents might have a problem with ANOTHER adult fish, as I've promised to cull heavily (my male is really docile, if I can even get him to breed the female I may leave him with the fry to limit the spawn size) and find homes for all the bettas who grow to adulthood.

Another thought is seeing how my new copper HM (or Super Delta, waiting on his fins to finish growing) turns out and try him with the female, rather than doing a VT to CT, which seems to be frowned upon for some reason. I prefer VTs, it seems much easier on the fish and they have healthier fins IME.
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #14 
registereduser

If you are successful and get any little girls that look like Mom let me know, I love her!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #15 
LadyVictorian

Only thing I am worried about it messy fins, think veiltail that perminantly look like their tails are ripped up. Even as a pet it may keep people from buying them thinking they are sick or something is wrong with them.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #16 
Vizja13

That's what I've been a bit concerned about as well. I would LOVE to breed to a doubletail, but as I said...mom's thoughts on fish. So that leaves me with the girl (which, RegisteredUser, I will definitely let you know :) It won't be until late summer though) to either one of two VTs, or seeing how the new copper turns out. He may turn out very well, as I've had him less than a week and he was in crappy conditions in the store, but then I don't know the color genetics well enough to tell how this: (when fully healed and, I suspect, grown, not convinced he's entirely mature)

will pair with the girl.

My other males are

This dork is who I planned to use

My other male, hard to get a picture of his true color, he usually appears more purple.
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #17 
joecool966

does anyone know where petsmart and petco get there fish from? local or international? I saw this really nice long tail HM at petco that came in today but was dead on arrive sadly and they barely had any water in the package when it came in.
joecool966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #18 
Myates

Unsure where they get them.. but it's standard to ship them with very little water - less risk of injury. As long as there is air in the bags and some water to keep them hydrated, they are fine in little water.
Sad he didn't make it though - shipping can be quite stressful. I always worry when I get a fish shipped.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #19 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool966 View Post
does anyone know where petsmart and petco get there fish from? local or international? I saw this really nice long tail HM at petco that came in today but was dead on arrive sadly and they barely had any water in the package when it came in.

Petco's are imported, they are the cull's of some Thai breeding operations from what I've been told.
Petsmart breeds their own at some fish-farm (i believe state-side) and then they are shipped to stores.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #20 
veggiegirl

vizja13 I really love your crowntail female she is such a gorgeous colour and so cute. I would breed her to the HM because of the risk of messy fins if you bred her to the veiltail. It might be easier to find homes for the babies if they don't have messy fins.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote