Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #11 
eatmice2010

Oh wait was that the question i thought we were listing fish that have been around for a long time oops
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #12 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu the betta View Post
some do i heard that paradise fish are in the betta family just like gouramis are so they dont mix. but im not sure if paradise fish are pond fish? does anyone know?
Depends on where you live or if you are willing to put a heater in the pond. Most places say they can survive down to about 60F. And I know that my pond gets down below 50F in southern Virginia.

As for the longest domesticated fish, I do think the goldfish has that honor. Koi probably come in second, and bettas third. Interestingly enough, both koi and goldfish were originally domesticated for food; it was only after a small population was breeding in a pond did people notice the occasional gold or orange colors.

But there are some other fish that are having captive morphs created. Balloon mollies and balloon rams are the two that come to mind that I really don't like.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

Balloon Mollies look stupid IMO. No offense to anyone that likes them though...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

Well glofish and the several other 'glo' varieties of fish have been IMO pretty heavily modified from their original wild type. The form might not have changed but the colour definitely has.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #15 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Well glofish and the several other 'glo' varieties of fish have been IMO pretty heavily modified from their original wild type. The form might not have changed but the colour definitely has.
Hmm...Well I would count color morphs. Even albino. But they are def not as different from wilds as betta or goldies
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #16 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
that's due to direct, artificial genetic modification though, not selective breeding like bettas and goldfish.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #17 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
that's due to direct, artificial genetic modification though, not selective breeding like bettas and goldfish.
Breeding is also genetic modification; it's just the ancient method. Now we can do it fast with direct gene insertion, but before that technology was around we used breeding to change the plants and animals we wanted to change.

And if we're counting albinos, I've seen a lot of albino things. Channel cats, twig catfish, plecos. Oh and don't forget the long-finned varieties of fish like long-finned danio, bristlenose, and black widow tetra.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 01-13-2013 at 12:41 PM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #18 
eatmice2010

Gene splicing mwhahahaha lol :D
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #19 
finnfinnfriend

Oh yeah I think long finned definitely counts too! But I guess my original question was if there are any fish that are as domesticated as goldfish, bettas, or koi and I guess the simple answer is no lol...