Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #11 
Jiirim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Kudos to you for giving them a piece of your mind. I despise Walmart sometimes. I went there a few weeks ago and needed help getting a tank kit off the top shelf (it turned out to be broken anyway). There was not a single employee around, so I sent my twelve year old brother to customer service on the other side of the store to get them to send someone and they flat out told him "no."

Thankfully, they seem to have stopped carrying bettas. They were kept in plastic cups half the size of small cups of coffee and the water was always yellow and cloudy. In fact, they don't really have any fish left; the tanks are always empty except for a few dead and dying fish...

Does your college limit how many fish tanks you can keep? I'm going to be off to college in less than a year and they have strict regulations on pets. Quoting housing rules, "Fish are permitted with mutual consent of roommates. The maximum capacity for a fish tank is two gallons." (Although, it doesn't specifically state a limit on number of fish tanks... Loophole, maybe? xD)
Ohh it SO mad me mad. I should've pressed at them a bit more than I did, but I still saved him and that's what counts.

If my college does, they haven't told me, haha. I'm an RA at my college so I've learned how to get around the rules quite a bit. They say only tanks under 5 gallons, but do not specify how may tanks I can have. (My boss sort of hates me because of it but can't officially make me get rid of them. xD)
Jiirim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #12 
Jiirim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
That's so horrible how much Walmart doesn't care about their fish at all. I would've argued with the guy until he gave it to me for free just to get me to shut up. I know the big manager at my walmart and his phone number is posted everywhere inside the store... (and his son is in my class.) I wouldn't stop at the department manager. I can't imagine how angry you must've been >:/

Anyways, I love seeing posts like this, because I am a senior in high school and I have four fish tanks that are definitely coming with me to college. I've told my parents flat out that I WILL NOT go to a college that won't allow me to have my fish, haha. I'll make it work, somehow. And I like seeing others here who have also made it work :)
I should've argued more than I did, but I was able to save him so I'm happy with that. They weren't going to listen anyway, so why bother with it when in the end I still rescued? :)

Oh man, I just can't leave any of my babies at home. I can't afford heaters so I just keep my room at college extremely warm, while at home we don't even turn on the heater (December break was a nightmare. I was so terrified that they would die! D: )
It takes SO. LONG. to pack everything up to move them. Before I got Finn a few days ago, it took me about 2 hours to pack everything fish-related into respective boxes to move back to college. It's a nightmare, haha.
But I'm happy to be able to walk in or wake up every day and see them happily swimming around and they all have such funny personalities that they're a joy to watch.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #13 
blueridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiirim View Post
Ohh it SO mad me mad. I should've pressed at them a bit more than I did, but I still saved him and that's what counts.

If my college does, they haven't told me, haha. I'm an RA at my college so I've learned how to get around the rules quite a bit. They say only tanks under 5 gallons, but do not specify how may tanks I can have. (My boss sort of hates me because of it but can't officially make me get rid of them. xD)
XD My room mate and I have done the same thing with our fish tanks. We have 14 tanks in the room and our RA's and RD was kind of mad at first but they have just given up on us.
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #14 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiirim View Post
I should've argued more than I did, but I was able to save him so I'm happy with that. They weren't going to listen anyway, so why bother with it when in the end I still rescued? :)

Oh man, I just can't leave any of my babies at home. I can't afford heaters so I just keep my room at college extremely warm, while at home we don't even turn on the heater (December break was a nightmare. I was so terrified that they would die! D: )
It takes SO. LONG. to pack everything up to move them. Before I got Finn a few days ago, it took me about 2 hours to pack everything fish-related into respective boxes to move back to college. It's a nightmare, haha.
But I'm happy to be able to walk in or wake up every day and see them happily swimming around and they all have such funny personalities that they're a joy to watch.
Congrats on the new rescue! Walmart amazes me most of the time, and not because of their "super low prices"...

I feel ya on the moving issue. I have 37 gallons total at the moment (it'd normally be 35, but one fish is currently in quarantine) split into one 15 gallon, one 10 gallon, two 5 gallons, and a 2.5 gallon, and it's no cakewalk moving them. Up until this year, the student handbook at my school said that tanks shall not exceed 30 gallons, but they updated it so now we're allowed a total of 30 gallons per room - but we're still strictly forbidden from keeping piranhas (can't help but wonder if there's a story behind that part). Thankfully, the school doesn't seem to care too much... All of the RAs and the building RHD that have seen my room seem way more interested in the freakishly active/interesting bettas and other fish than the total water volume.
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #15 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
Good for you for rescuing him! I didn't know neon tetras hurt bettas I had a betta in with neon tetras and they were fine, well I really hope he gets better.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #16 
Jiirim

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
XD My room mate and I have done the same thing with our fish tanks. We have 14 tanks in the room and our RA's and RD was kind of mad at first but they have just given up on us.
Wow! Haha, I ran out of space in my room so I can't really accumulate any more. xD I get my room checked once a month or so by my boss. First time I had one tank, next I had 4. She was a little freaked out
Old 01-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #17 
Jiirim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
Congrats on the new rescue! Walmart amazes me most of the time, and not because of their "super low prices"...

I feel ya on the moving issue. I have 37 gallons total at the moment (it'd normally be 35, but one fish is currently in quarantine) split into one 15 gallon, one 10 gallon, two 5 gallons, and a 2.5 gallon, and it's no cakewalk moving them. Up until this year, the student handbook at my school said that tanks shall not exceed 30 gallons, but they updated it so now we're allowed a total of 30 gallons per room - but we're still strictly forbidden from keeping piranhas (can't help but wonder if there's a story behind that part). Thankfully, the school doesn't seem to care too much... All of the RAs and the building RHD that have seen my room seem way more interested in the freakishly active/interesting bettas and other fish than the total water volume.
Posted via Mobile Device
/facepalm/ So, Finn has Ick. Those stupid employees, the fish he was with were obviously infected and now I have to run out tomorrow and get meds. Poor little guy has gone through enough torture, he shouldn't get ick too!

Hahaha, piranhas! Wow! And 35 gallons?! Wow. I'm really glad my college hasn't placed a gallon restriction yet, but that may change by the time I'm out of here. XD

Tags
rescue, tank setup