Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #51 
PaulO

Sneak Peek:
-I plan to have the whole left side densley planted.
-Will probably stick some sort of val or sword in the back so I won't need to use a background.
-Still working on some anubis. (Trying to get either Congensis, Barteri, or Hastifolia. Sadly all the local stores only have nana or "assorted"...bleh )
And that concludes the sneak peek.
Also I am going to be looking for some plants I can stick in the cracks in the wood on the left side. If anyone knows of some good low-medium light plants that can be placed that way I would really love to hear any suggestions. Thanks!

-Paul O
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #52 
PaulO

So it's been a while...PICTURES!!! *These were taken January 28th of 2013*

^sorry for the flash^

I recently had to cut photo period from 12 to 10 hours due to algae bloom. Fish: 3 otos, 3 amanos, 1 assasin, some mts like 2-3, 6 neon tetras, 6 peppered corydoras, and a golden ram. These pictures are old so there are a few new plants and more growth in the anacharis. Also does anybody know how I can raise the c02 in the tank without a fancy injection system? Or at least how to hold the most c02 possible. And should I set up an air stone to run at night so my fish don't suffocate?

Last edited by PaulO; 02-17-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #53 
PaulO

Plants: Java fern, Spiral vals, Normal straight val (1), wisteria, anacharis, banana plant, and a mystery plant at the bottom front left corner of my tank (will get a close up picture of it later). oh and also there are a few sprigs of hornwort that I added as well.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #54 
bahamut285

I love the Java Ferns *_*
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #55 
PaulO

Thanks I bought like 3-4 bunches took it apart and shoved most of them into the biggest crack in the wood, I put one in the back and one on the right. The downside is that one of the leaves is swarmed with a spindly algae (looks like a sea star's legs) and some green spot algae so I will probably have to rip out a few leave's .
Old 02-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #56 
Oldfishlady

Some species of algae is- normal, expected and can be a sign of a healthy system. Since this is a closed system we will have to control it by manual removal on occasion-With that said, you can control algae to a degree-When you have high nutrient soil without enough fast growing stem and floating plants the algae can use the excess nutrients to grow/thrive-Add more stem and/or floating plants.
Lights-if lights are too close to the water or if something is impeding the light intensity-like a dirty partition, old light bulbs, too many floating plants or overgrowth of plant.
Or plants are not thriving-in active growth- to out compete the algae for nutrients/light.
Keeping algae controlled is all about Balance....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #57 
Crowntails

I'd get 6 more neons. They like huge schools and your tank is large enough to do it. You could even get 8-9 more.

What kind of CO2 are you running right now? Is it DIY or what?
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #58 
PaulO

No co2 I rely on fish and decomp for co2.
I also use root tabs and dose seachem flourish fertilizer. Could I do 3 more tetras and 5 cardinal tetras or should I just keep one species?

Last edited by PaulO; 02-18-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #59 
PaulO

Well I went all out I got an additional 9 tetras and 1 week from now it'll be new home time. Got a few update pictures and also a plant I need help identifying. Once I get home I'll upload the stuff.

-Paul
Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #60 
PaulO

So heres what I did today:

-removed dead assassin snail
-Trimmed down horn weed oops I mean wort *stuff grows like it though*
-Propagated 2 stems of anacharis and replanted *I think I did it right* by cutting plant in half at stem, stripping lower inch of stem of leaves, and stuck in substrate.
-Added the 9 tetras after slow acclimation....*I got hasty and while I know I should really be careful the LFS has spotless tanks, only dead fish I see are on the day and after new shipment, and they have a MASSIVE filtration system.
-removed piece of old zucchini that smelled like a rotting snail....

Can someone tell me what this plant is? :

Tank:

Awkward banana plant? *big leaves little banana's*

And......cute cory....