Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #11 
callistra

50% water change every other day along with full redosing of meds and half dose of epsom (because you removed half the water and es only is removed with water change). 100% change weekly with full redosing of meds and full redosing of epsoms.

To dilute the kanaplex take 5 tsp of dechlorinated water and a level scoop of Kanaplex. Mix it in and dissolve completely. Take 2.5tsp of the mixture and put it in the 2.5g tank. Toss the rest of the mixture. You'll have to mix it up fresh each time you dose.

You should be seeing poop at the bottom since it is bare. If you're not seeing poop he is constipated/blocked possibly by the infection at hand.

Dropsy is almost always caused by water quality issues, which is why I was trying to get to fill out the link.

Last edited by callistra; 01-12-2013 at 11:15 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #12 
syds mom

He has been in the 2.5 gallon with gravel and a heater. 78-80 degrees.The pic is where I did a 100% water change today and put him in the bare plastic container.
I do a Monday 50% water change
Wednesday 50% water change
Saturday 100% water change
I use prime and stress coat
Ive been waiting for his 10 gallon to get established.
I dont use a filter in this tank because its small and frequent water changes are made.
He was fine yesterday but looked alittle bloated so I fasted him and today I went to do my water change and put him in the little plastic tank and he looked like he was pineconing. Last night there was no pineconing.
Thursday he ate 3 frozen brine shrimp for morning feeding aand that night heate 3 more, He was swimming around just as usual. He appeared to be normal. Friday he looked bloated so I fasted him and today hes pneconing. I cant for the life of me figure what went wrong.
I did mix the kanaplex and he is in the 2.5 with meds and epsom salt.
syds mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #13 
syds mom

I think what Ill do is if he makes it, When I do the water change take the gravel out so I can see the poop if hes doing anything. I didnt think to get it out.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #14 
syds mom

Today is Sunday and he is still alive. His appearance hasnt changed. I have the front of his tank covered so it stays dark. I started fasting him Friday. I have oak leaves in the yard that fell after we raked leaves in December, I wonder if it would be good for him if I crushed them and put them in the tank for tannin along with meds.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #15 
callistra

I've never used oak leaves in a tank before. I would be worried about pesticides and things sprayed in my area, and any foreign parasites or bacteria that might be outside. I would pm OFL if you want to use leaves from your yard.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #16 
syds mom

Ill try to pm her, if I can find out how to do it.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #17 
LittleBlueFishlets

To send a PM: Go to a post that she wrote. On the left side, above her avatar, click her username. Then click "send a private message."

You can also just go to her profile page, and leave a note for her.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #18 
syds mom

Thank you,
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #19 
syds mom

Its Monday and I medicated for 2nd dosage of kanaplex and epsom. I took him out and threw gravel away. Now he is back in 2.5 He had a red plant in there so I threw it away also. I have a little silk plant for him to lay on.
He looks alittle more swollen today. This makes me so upset. I havent even had him long enough to even get his big tank ready. The other 2 that I got when I got him are fine. I am carefully watching them also even if they werent together. Just makes me nervous.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #20 
syds mom

getting ready to add oak leaves, and uping epsom salt thanks to OFL.