Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #111 
sunstar93

So now I have my king betta, Sparky. And today I fell for a cute little Cambodian Crowntail girl at Petco I had to bring home. I also now have a snail, named Onyx. And yet my mind keeps trailing back to a beautiful pale yellow DTHM boy I saw...he was gorgeous, healthy, very feisty...if only I had more room! But I love my new little girl, named Star. She's got what looks to be either ammonia burns or natural red coloring on her gill coverings. I ended up using the divider in the 10 gallon: about 1.5 gallon side to Toby and the rest to Sparky and the snail. I wouldn't divide it again though, I don't think it'd be fair to them. And Star is in the 1.5 gallon tank. For now it is only filled up halfway because shes small. Not like Petco baby small but I think she can still grow some more. She loves to flare at me lol. And she loves the frozen brine shrimp I got for her..this littler girl is spoiled already! She's also got dark blue eyes. Couldn't resist her!! (:
Hoping that beautiful DTHM goes to a good home!!

~Sunstar~
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #112 
sunstar93

I know I've been MIA for a while, but now that school is in full swing again, I am busy almost all the time! It it's not school, it's church/bible study, ResLife or studying! I feel like I don't even have time for my babies sometimes!

Unfortunately the snail died this past weekend...I'm not really sure why, he was healthy and active and then the next day...gone. And I know everyone says that dead snails stink.."stink" is an understatement. That smell could raise the dead! I think for the very first time, ALL my fish are healthy!! Toby's tail is growing back (slowly but surely) and Leo is, I am pretty sure, velvet-free! It's such a relief I cant begin to describe how elated I am. Especially for Leo, my little boy has beaten all the odds and everything that has been thrown at him. He is my fighter and I'm grateful now that I didn't completely give up on him.

I have changed Star's name to Sassy...she has so much attitude it's unbelievable. She flares like a male sometimes- even at me! But she is very cute and has grown in the past couple of weeks since I've had her. She loves the frozen brine shrimp- sometimes I will stick a piece to my finger and she'll take it from me. It's cute because then she carries it around in her mouth until its almost all broken apart and then starts to "hunt" her food lol. It's definitely a sight. I finally graduated her up to a full 1.5 tank of water, since she has proved she is a very strong swimmer and she is big enough now. She likes to hang out in her little cave (I accidentally chipped off a wing from one of the bumblebees today during a water change). I also finally decided it was time to test to see if the plants that had undergone the bleach and vinegar treatment we're all clean and safe again...I picked out two smaller ones (just big enough for her little space) and rinsed the off again. They didn't smell like vinegar anymore, so I placed them in the tank and, just to ease my worrying, added twice the amount of dechlorinator (don't know how this would help against vinegar but oh we'll). So far so good! It's been about 3 hours now and she's as happy as pie. I even saw her taking a rest in one of the flowers! It's nice to see her enjoying the plants that I've worked so hard to clean!!

(this might be a longer post than normal!)
I've also decided, after much deliberation and consultation with an experienced friend on here, to make a space for Leo in the big tank. Now, before anyone flies off the handle, let me explain! I plan to give Toby and Leo each about 2 gallons worth of space. The rest (about 6 gallons) will belong to Sparky. I think he's done growing, he hasn't really grown much in the past month or so, and I think it would be beneficial for them all to have other males to exercise with. Overall though, the boys I have are pretty mild mannered. Toby is the one that is most betta-aggressive, but after he learned that Sparky (my gentle half-giant) wasn't really interested in flaring back, he's backed off quite a bit. And Leo has never shown much interest in flaring at other males- in fact he doesn't flare at anything. I'm going to do one last round of medicine, to make sure he is 100% velvet-free, before adding him. I also have to actually make the divider, lol, so it'll probably be at least another week. But my little veiltail will be able to join the "fraternity" tank (as I've started calling it lol..even though it has dividers). I think after everything he's been through he deserves a little company and much more mental stimulus than he has been getting!

I'm glad I could share a big update with everyone(:

~Sunstar
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #113 
royal

I'm glad Leo's better!
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #114 
sunstar93

Thanks! Me too! :)
He's a little skinny but other than that I think this is the healthiest he's been since I got him
Old 02-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #115 
royal

That's good! My vt royal (in profile pic ) passed on a couple of days ago. Your Leo reminds me of him!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #116 
sunstar93

:( I'm so sorry! But hopefully Leo reminds you of Royal in a good way!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #117 
royal

Thanks,and for sure Leo does remind me of the good,cute times!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #118 
sunstar93

Well I'm glad my boy can bring you some happiness even after the death of your little one! It's always hard, especially when you've grown close to them! In December I had considered euthanizing him because he wasn't getting any better and was subjected to being in the dark to help combat the parasite...so I moved him to the kitchen, where everyone always is, and that seemed to do the trick! He was happier and much more active. I still kick myself for giving up on him, even for a short while. But he's taught me a lot since then(:
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #119 
royal

That's such a cool and cute story! My little guy was active for the first month,and then was really lazy. He showed no sign of sickness,he just died!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #120 
sunstar93

Lol it's definitely a miracle...I wasn't really one to believe things like that but I do now. Medicine wasn't working and it was like he was giving up! But now he's happy- the only thing he has to worry about is if he wants to eat the pellets that sink to the bottom or if he wants to just ignore them haha.
:( It's the worst when they don't show any signs..it's like they just decide to leave. I had rescued a little girl betta and the next morning she had died. Healthy, as far as I could see, and had even eaten a good meal. I'm sorry he passed- but now he can watch over you and your future babies!