Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #1 
abwise455

Exclamation HELP! white torn fin

Hi everyone I am new to the betta fish community and I need some help with my baby alejandro. I will start off by saying I have had him for 8 months now with no problems. He is in a 1.5 gallon tank that is filtered and heated with a 80 degree temperature and his water is siphoned 50% once a week.He seems very happy and active. I feed him once a day usually 3 to 4 pellets and occasionally blood worms. The problem he is having is a white torn fin on his top fin. I would really appreciate it if I could get some help as I am new to this wonderful Hobby!
Attached Images

Last edited by abwise455; 01-14-2013 at 04:34 PM.
abwise455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #2 
jessp118

I'm sorry but more information is needed: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #3 
abwise455

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessp118 View Post
I'm sorry but more information is needed: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5gal
What temperature is your tank?80f
Does your tank have a filter?yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?yes a air tube
Is your tank heated?yes under gravel heather 15w
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and sometimes blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish?once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Half
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?n/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?white fin almost clear
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?hasnt changed
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?no
Does your fish have any history of being ill?no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1yr
Old 01-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #4 
callistra

What are you using to monitor temp?

In a bowl that size two water changes a week are needed - one 50% and one 100%. The 100% should include a thorough rinsing of gravel and all decor. I also suggest removing the filter because you cannot cycle anything so small and the current only serves to stress them out because of the tiny space.

I see some thinning/graying of fins and that is fin rot from water quality issues. I'm not sure about the top white fin unless he's marbling.. Most important thing to treat fin rot is clean water. Follow this guide here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332 I suggest the salt treatment. If you want to use meds then I personally suggest Kanaplex, Maracyn Plus or Furan 2.

Here's how to do large water changes without shocking:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #5 
abwise455

Thanks for the help. I use a nice glass temperature gauge that suctions to the inside of the tank. Ya I also believe I need to do more water changes. Im thinking about just getting a new tank for him..any suggestions? I want to go with something a little bigger

Last edited by abwise455; 01-14-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #6 
callistra

5 gallon feels like a good size. You'd only have to do once weekly 100% change in that and you could even cycle it out if you wanted. You can also use a good quality 50w adjustable heater like an Aqueon Pro (black ones not glass regular line which are sub par), Jager or Marineland Visitherm.

Otherwise you could do a 2-3g and do twice weekly 50% and 100% changes with a 25w heater.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote