Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 AM   #11 
Chili Padi

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
You need at least 2 gallons to keep him healthy long term and even that will take 2 water changes a week - one 50% and one 100%. The 100% should include a thorough rinsing of all ornaments and especially gravel to remove all poo.

I would also not use flakes and stick to pellets and supplement blood worms only once a week - make sure none sink to the bottom and fish them out if they do. Flakes muck up the water a lot faster, and you just can't help but some of it getting dissolved or falling in ways you can't retrieve in there. Also make sure he's getting one fast day a week.

For now, do 100% daily water changes in that.

Bettas are usually approx 6 months old when you get them from the pet store. Their age is that plus how long you've had them.

You can do water changes like this to avoid shock:
Since your house temp is warm and you don't need a heater you can also premix gallon jugs or buckets or whatever with his water and let it sit in the same room as him for 24 hours. That will also equalize temps.
Hello :)
Advise needed if you dont mind. I just bought "Ammonia remover" treatment for my bettas. I just cleaned their tanks yesterday and just wanted to know if i can pour the ammonia remover liquid in the tank with my bettas in it, or should i wait until the next change of water and let the treatment settle properly?

Also i bought "Fishtamin" a multi-vitamin drop, instruction says drop it onto their food. I was wondering instead of that can i just put few drops into the water?

Your help will be much appreciated
Thank you
Chili Padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #12 
Chili Padi

Question

Hello :)
Advise needed if you dont mind. I just bought "Ammonia remover" treatment for my bettas. I just cleaned their tanks yesterday and just wanted to know if i can pour the ammonia remover liquid in the tank with my bettas in it, or should i wait until the next change of water and let the treatment settle properly?

Also i bought "Fishtamin" a multi-vitamin drop, instruction says drop it onto their food. I was wondering instead of that can i just put few drops into the water?

Your help will be much appreciated
Thank you
Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #13 
Kim

Do you have ammonia in your tap water? If not, I wouldn't bother with the ammonia remover; most of these products just convert ammonia to the less toxic ammonium, and this only lasts for a limited time. My best recommendation would be to upgrade your tank size to at least a 2.5 gallon container, and perform daily water changes until then.

Since the vitamin drops say to drop them on the food, I am guessing that the ingredients are not able to be taken into the body by diffusion if added to the water, so I would just dose according to the instructions.

Good luck with your new fish :)

Last edited by Kim; 01-04-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #14 
Chili Padi

My red betta (Ariel) is now suffering from minor fin rot after noticing holes earlier on . I guess those holes turned into fin rot? anyhow Ariel has been and is again in quarantine. His top and bottom fins has shed some and its a pretty mess at the moment. Besides all these his behavior is normal, active as ever etc. Im still thinking back how could this happen to one out of three bettas? water change etc are all the same for each and my other two bettas are in good shape.

Any other suggestions anyone would like to share in order to cure Ariel asap pls? all suggestions will be appreciated, thank you.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #15 
callistra

Really clean water and aquarium salt as outlined here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote