Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #1 
dnelli

Question using medication with aquarium salt?

my betta has fin rot can i use BettaFix at the same time as aquarium salt and how much aquarium salt do i add to a 2.5 gallon tank.
dnelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #2 
callistra

BettaFix won't help.

Saw your other thread about the baby betta with fin rot..

More info is needed to make sure we don't miss something in important: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #3 
dnelli

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? dried blood worms (twice a week) and Hikari every other day
y

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% in middle of week and 100% on weekend
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none i use water filtered by a BRITA filter

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fins and tail are turning black at edges
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 months ago then went away and came back about 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 100% water changes every day
Does your fish have any history of being ill? swim-bladder once before and then fin rot 2 months ago
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea purchased as baby in october
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #4 
callistra

Your brita filter isn't replacing a conditioner. It only removes some things, and not all of anything. I would stop using the brita filtered water at all and just use tap water. You also have to invest in a conditioner which says it removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals. This is a big part if not all your problem.

A baby betta needs better quality foods. I would look into something like NLS Growth formula. I am concerned he/she is being stunted by your feeding habits. You've had him 3 months and he was old enough to sell at that point so he should be looking more mature at this point.. Hikari are low quality wheat based pellets that in my experience cause constipation issues..and that's with healthy adults. Blood worms are okay treats once a week (in small amounts) but anything freeze dried needs a thorough soaking for 10 minutes to soften before feeding. Your betta should be fed daily in 2 small meals split up and one fast day a week.

If you change your feeding habits and get your water quality under control he/she should be a lot healthier. I also don't know about keeping one in something so small without a filter because I do know that even with this water change routine he/she will be getting traces of ammonia. You may need extra water changes but someone will need to comment on this as I don't have much experience.

Last edited by callistra; 01-15-2013 at 10:52 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #5 
dnelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post

A baby betta needs better quality foods. I would look into something like NLS Growth formula. I am concerned he/she is being stunted by your feeding habits. You've had him 3 months and he was old enough to sell at that point so he should be looking more mature at this point.. Hikari are low quality wheat based pellets that in my experience cause constipation issues..and that's with healthy adults. Blood worms are okay treats once a week (in small amounts) but anything freeze dried needs a thorough soaking for 10 minutes to soften before feeding. Your betta should be fed daily in 2 small meals split up and one fast day a week.
Ok thanks for the help i didn't know that was bad food and i will definitely get conditioner for the water