Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #1 
Blainebetta

Something red oozing out of Betta!

Ok I'm desperate I don't want to lose my baby. I've had him for about a year now and he's been constipated recently and I'm doing the peas or daphnia to help but I haven't cleaned his tank in about 4 months. I've been terribly ill and I feel so guilty about it. He's in a 10 gallon heated tank to 79 degrees and its filtered I always replace and treat the water when it gets low but I fear I waited to long and now he has fin rot? I've never dealt with it before but he has this weird orange red thing hanging down from under the two fins under his belly. I need advice please, Is he going to die? I got to clean this tank, right now he's in a smaller one to provide better pictures. Thank you in advance.
Ok now it's oozing please help me I'm a wreck.
I attached a picture I think.
Attached Images

Blainebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 AM   #2 
PaulO

It might be poop, he could have been constipated and now is "cleansing". I know it's hard and your probably very worried right now the best thing you can do for your baby is to fill out the info in the sticky. I know it may seem redundant but it is very important and helps to narrow down possibilities. I pasted the questions to make it easier just fill them out and we're one step closer to helping the little guy out .

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

-Paul O
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:29 AM   #3 
Blainebetta

Housing
What size is your tank?
10 gallons
What temperature is your tank?
79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter?
Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No
Is your tank heated?
Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Pellets by Ttetra, daphnia, frozen bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Once a day everyday expect one day a week to fast.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
Normally every month a full water change but I refill what evaporates throughout.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
All of it unless I, refilling evaporated water which is about 5% to 10%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
A water conditioner/dechlorinahtor

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No I don't have anything to do so yet.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
He is a little pale a discolor end like white underneath his face
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
I guess he's a little more calm.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Tonight but the face thing has been about a week maybe.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I was going to change the water but I don't know if I should be putting in medications or what.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
He gets constipated sometimes but other than that no.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
About a year?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #4 
callistra

He's pooping.. looks constipated though. Round balls are constipation. It just looks like constipated poop to me. I don't think it really looks infected.. are you saying it looks bloody or something?

You already know you need to increase your water changes. This is the #1 cause of fish disease and death. You need a weekly water change of no less than 20% once the biofilter has been established, but many people suggest larger up to 50% changes. This must also include using a gravel vac/siphon to vacuum the gravel thoroughly. Cycling takes up to 2 months, and during this time more frequent changes are needed. How long has it been set up?

If you're not maintaining a filter you need alternating 50% and 100% changes every other week... unless you're filling it half full like it looks like you are then 100% weekly.

You also need a lid of some kind.

How are you monitoring temperature?

What filter are you using? How have you been maintaining it?

The pellets you are using are low quality wheat based pellets that do tend to lead themselves to constipation. I would discontinue feeding them and look for pellets where the first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or even worse is wheat. New Life Spectrum Betta and Omega One Betta Buffet are two to look for. It's good you fast one day a week. You can feed daphnia for constipation, or one day a week in replace of one pellet meal to maintain regularity. You can also feed a blood worm in replace of a pellet feeding once a week as well. Just make sure any time you feed freeze dried food it gets a thorough soaking for 10 minutes in a bit of dechlorinated water (like use a little cup) before feeding because that can also cause constipation

It's really important to remove all uneaten food because it mucks up the water quality extremely quickly.. I see pea and poop at the bottom.. No gravel? Is this a hospital tank? He needs some decor.. places to hid, oversized soft silk plants that won't snag and some gravel if you're running a filter because you're cycling whether you intend to or not.

I think at this point I think you just need to get water quality under control, add some things for him to keep his stress level down, and change your feeding habits. To treat for fin rot I would use aquarium salt at 1 tsp per gallon predissolved. AQ only leaves with water changes so you only have to redose when you change the water and then only add as much back as water you change. You can do this for up to 10 days and it should fix the fin rot. You can also add stress coat at 1 ml per 1 gallon to help with regrowth of the fins.

Last edited by callistra; 01-15-2013 at 07:52 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #5 
Blainebetta

This is a hospital tank his normal tank has lots of stuff he's always hiding and playing. I alternate the pellets with frozen food but he's a pet store fish and he for some reason really likes them I'm slowly weaning him off. I have a filter that I change once a month and the tank has been set up for about a year and a half. I don't have gravel I have rocks though. I knew most of this but thank you for confirming poop I was scared cause I'd never see that before. I'm going to have to get some people to help clean the tank thank you.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #6 
callistra

You should never change every media in your filter at the same time.. I would change no more than one type per month. What kind of media does you have? What filter? That's where your bb lies and if you do that you restart your cycle every time.

Most filters will have two or three media sources. Sponges should be rinsed in old tank water weekly but only need to be replaced every 6 months to a year. Carbon should be replaced every 1-4 weeks (depending on type of carbon used, the instructions should say) and you may have other media that need to be changed every so often.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote