Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #21 
Laki

Ok, never trying ghosties again..

Back on topic, if you feed them varied diet consisting of algae wafers, veggie wafers, bloodworms, other frozen food, and blanched veggies will they have enough calcium to shed?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #22 
MSG

I would be more concerned about keeping the water clean with a good filter first.

The copper that will kill INVERTS is the amount you would find in the "Cu" based MEDICATION.

The trace amounts of copper found in HIGH quality dry foods in addition to fresh veggies are negligible.

To give you an idea.....
You would have to dump the entire container of food into the tank before the amount of copper in the food itself would harm them. The ammonia created from the decaying uneaten food will get them FIRST.

All shrimps will receive small amounts of "Cu" through their foods & require the element to grow/molt. As long as you keep up with the water changes/filtration & don't OVERFEED, the shrimps will multiply on their own.

NOTE: I'm referring to c shrimp.

Prepared foods = Spinach, romaine, zucchini, summer squash, pumpkin, carrots, stinging nettles, IAL, oak, dandelions, etc.... are other items that people have fed their shrimp. If something is too fresh & the cellular structure of the food provided isn't slightly decomposed, the shrimp will often ignore the item.

The frozen foods you have in mind are probably the riskiest to feed when you're starting off. I would advise against using those.

Protein based foods will mess up your water the quickest.

Stick with plant & pellet based in addition to the leafy greens you find in your salad.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #23 
Laki

Thanks so much!! They EAT indian almond leaves? I thought they just liked to pick around them.. That's great then, I have all kinds of that. And veggies around the house.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #24 
Silverfang

The will eat decaying or dried leaf litter. Why I was looking for leaves from fruit trees earlier this fall. Heard they were a big hit for someone else. So why not try.

Between my shrimp and the snails, they cleaned off a whole IAL
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #25 
Laki

:) It's good to just have IAL in a shrimp tank, right?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #26 
Bluewind

As far as copper, it is always better safe than sorry. A pellet with it higher on the ingrediant list is one the avoid.

Frozen foods is not necessary really. I feed alternating waffers and pellets with once a week veggies. I also crush up a bit of cuddlebone, place it in a bit of water in a cup, and let a waffer suck up the powder once a week to every other week for a little extra calcium for shrimp and snails.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #27 
Laki

I never got the knack for cuttlebone. It always floats and doesn't crumble. I used fruity tums on my snails. They got a real kick out if it. Would tum induced water work for the blanched veggies?