Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Securing floating tanks....

I have my three girls in one gallon critter keepers floating in my ten gallon tank for warmth temporarily and I really need to figure out a way to secure them so they won't too over.

The problem is, the lids on the critter keepers make it hard to clip them to the sides of the tank and I can't remove them because I don't want one of the girls jumping in with another one.

It was fine at first but I've decided I really need some way to keep them from tipping over. It's difficult to do water changes like it is now and I can only fill the tanks about 3/4 full because they still tip slightly, and 3/4 of a gallon is small and requires even more frequent water changes.

I was thinking about taking some sort of string across the bottom of the three critter keepers and attaching it to the sides of the tank so they have something to "sit" on if that makes sense? But I don't know what kind of string would be safe :/

Suggestions?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #2 
fgradowski

As long as you fill them over half full they shouldn't tip...at least that is my experience from floating cups in a tank.
fgradowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

I've decided to create a sort of shelf in the tank with craft mesh and hold it up with fishing line. I want to fill them more full because they might be in these tanks for about a month.

Anyone have experience with fishing line (monofilament)? Does it leach anything into the water?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Planted tank people use fishing line all the time so I would think it would be safe.

Another way to secure your keepers, would be to drill a couple of holes in each keeper and then use suction caps to hold it in place.

Probably not worth doing now if it is only temporary, but if it became long-term it may be easier.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

Okay, thanks!
I just want to be sure everything I use in their tanks will be safe for them. I wasn't too worried about the craft mesh because I know a lot of people use it for dividers. Now I have something to use as dividers if I ever end up needing one :p