Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #1 
CathrynFish

He ate the medicine -_-

Hey guys!
So my Betta fish has pretty bad fin rot at the moment
Today I started with the Tetra Treatment (I've used this before and it's worked amazingly!). I dropped the little pill in and left it there to dissolve.
A couple minutes late I went to check on how well it was dissolving and noticed my little (fatty) Betta eating it -_-

Is that bad? Should I be worried??

If it were to dissolve in his water it would still be going into his system no matter what right?
CathrynFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

... I am interested in what the outcome will be I don't think it will harm him too much, then again it is supposed to dissolve into the water first...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ooh hard to say. He should be fine, but I would keep an eye on him. It will probably work its way out of his system, but wait on other people's opinion.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #4 
CathrynFish

Thanks for the responses! Yeah I'm not TOO worried about it because he has nibbled on it before and he was fine..but this time the pellet was a larger chunk and I have no idea how much he ate of it...
Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Such a silly betta Always eating everything!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yea so clueless! Just keep an eye on him.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #7 
CathrynFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Such a silly betta Always eating everything!
When I saw him at the back of the tank he some me hovering so he swam to me but at the same time i saw him chomping up all the white powder...it was like he came to the font of the glass to show me he wasnt getting into any trouble...silly boy
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #8 
callistra

I would always predissolve meds before adding to a tank. That way they distribute quickly and you don't have pocket of meds. This is especially important when they're tablets like this.

Just watch him carefully.. not much you can do. Whether or not he'll be okay depends on what the med is and how much he actually ingested. Ingesting some amount is okay.

I don't know of a Tetra med for fin rot.. you're not using life guard are you? Fungus Guard would work even though it's not actually labeled as such.

Are you treating in his main tank or QT?

Fin rot is almost always caused by water issues (unless it's being snagged on something or he's biting) so more info would help make sure this doesn't come back again: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathrynFish View Post
Today I started with the Tetra Treatment (I've used this before and it's worked amazingly!). I dropped the little pill in and left it there to dissolve.
Is "Tetra Treatment" the full name of it? Or are you talking about Tetra Lifeguard All-in-One Treatment?

If it's Lifeguard All-in-One Treatment, the active ingredient is "HaloShield" -- which is also known as 1-chloro-2, 2, 5, 5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone.

The info that I found says it ingestion by HUMANS is unlikely to cause significant problems, "but consumption of large amounts may cause stomach upset and irritation." (source is here)

Tetra offers a support forum where you can ask questions about their products. Go here, then click the "Ask Tetra" tab. http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetr...l.aspx?id=4243

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 01-15-2013 at 10:51 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Fin rot can also be caused from stress, which lowers the immune system therefore getting a result such as fin rot, or more severe cases and not excluding parasites. Not just from water quality.

Tags
ate, eat, harmful?, medicine, tetra