Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #1 
Roemgie

New female being eaten and one in heaven

Hello! So I decided that I wanted to rescue females (since you can have more in one tank).

Without knowing I decided to purchase in advance two females. Yesterday I went to go get them with the intention of only adopting one. But I then found out that the one I wanted was being eaten by the fishes and frogs in the tank and another one was starting to be picked on. So I brought them home set up my 5 gallon and split it with some fiber stuff (they said it was ok?).
So anyway I adjusted them to the water and added them in there and watched them. This morning both girls seemed fine. An hour later my seemingly healthiest girl had passed away. While my other one is now swimming around and exploring the new 5 gallon tank (since my cycling 5 gallon isn't ready but hopefully by tomorrow it will be :) ). Because I now only have her I was going to move her into the 2.5 gallon tank by tomorrow so that it will be easier for me to clean and smaller so she doesn't have to swim around so much.

Please I need advice! Here's my currently alive girl

And here is my girl who passed away this morning, she looks very strange to me

Please let me know what I should do for my little one that's alive!
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #2 
jessp118

To me, The one that is still alive might have the mystery disease. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #3 
Roemgie

What should I do then?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #4 
Silverfang

Unfortunately with the mystery disease there is no cure, it is fatal 100% of the time. IT is also highly contagious. It's one of the worst diseases I've heard of. You cannot even sanitize tanks/decor after.

I'd suggest you talk to Sakura8 if you want to know more, she is our "expert" on this horrible disease.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

It looks like it may be that disease but it seems to kill all fish in a matter of hours after their fins start to turn black and rot away- then it moves on to the body. Blue bettas seem to be especially prone to it.

Quote:
The symptoms of this disease are:

* graphite gray or near black tissue necropsy that spreads from the bottom of the fins upward to the body within hours
* sudden loss of mobility as the swim bladder is affected
* death or conditions so severe that they require euthanasia within 12-24 hours, occasionally as long as 36 hours

Supposedly it's a form of Fish TB?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #6 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
Unfortunately with the mystery disease there is no cure, it is fatal 100% of the time. IT is also highly contagious. It's one of the worst diseases I've heard of. You cannot even sanitize tanks/decor after.

I'd suggest you talk to Sakura8 if you want to know more, she is our "expert" on this horrible disease.
Ok i'll try to contact her, she's still alive and swimming around but her back end has gotten really cloudy so I'm assuming she's close to the end.

What should I use to clean the tank and things once she's passed on?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #7 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
It looks like it may be that disease but it seems to kill all fish in a matter of hours after their fins start to turn black and rot away- then it moves on to the body. Blue bettas seem to be especially prone to it.

Supposedly it's a form of Fish TB?

I personally don't know how to put a fish down. I prefer not but of course if she gets to the point that I'm being cruel I will.

This is what she looks like as of just right now

How should I clean the tank afterwards?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #8 
Hassled

This is the exact same disease that wiped out my whole sorority in under 24 hours.

I always thought it was columnaris, was I wrong?
Hassled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Eek if the mystery disease in indeed a form of fish TB, I would recommend culling that female ASAP. Fish TB can be transferred to humans through an open cut or wound so be very careful while handling anything with that tank.

I have seen people that have fish TB come through their tanks, cull everything and don't use the tank again afterwards.

From the look of her back end I would say that she probably doesn't have much longer. I am always an advocate of euthanising rather than letting them linger and pass away naturally. In this case I would be thinking about it as I don't believe she is going to recover from that sadly.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #10 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassled View Post
This is the exact same disease that wiped out my whole sorority in under 24 hours.

I always thought it was columnaris, was I wrong?
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086 that's the thread with the information but yeah I think this is what I've gotten with my two girls