Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #1 
daylily

Food - storing?

I was wondering if anyone keeps their fish food in the freezer.

Today I opened a 60g container of New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets. Volume would be about 2/3 cup. I also have Hikari Betta Bio Gold, and Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets that I have been alternating. (I also feed frozen bloodworms once a week, and frozen brine shrimp once a week) Sometimes I feed a crushed shrimp pellet from my nano fish's food.

I was thinking that alternating foods would make a balanced diet.

I only have one betta.

To keep the food fresh, I was thinking of putting a little of each in a pill dispenser. The kind marked with days of the week. Thought it would be convenient. Then, freezing the rest in the original containers until needed.

Same with nano fish food. They get NLS Small Fish Formula, crushed shrimp pellets, Hikari guppy food, and the same frozen food the betta gets.

I freeze the dry spices I use since I am only one person and it would take a long time to use them. I only keep a tablespoon or so out in little jars, rest is kept frozen. I have one cat, but buy his food in 15 pound bags. Since it has no preservative, I put it in sandwich ziplock bags and freeze it. I get a little bag out when needed. So much less $ per pound when you buy bigger bags.

Am I being to fussy? Seems it would take my betas lifetime to eat all this food....
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #2 
callistra

You should toss any opened fish food container within a year, a lot of people including myself toss the extra every 6 months. Even when refrigerated I would not go over a year. Refrigeration should be done in an air tight container.

I have never known anyone to try to freeze it so IDK about that.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #3 
daylily

Thanks!

I was thinking freezing might extend the life of the food indefinitely.

I freeze flour and stuff like that too.
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You probably could. The ingredients are basically fish, wheat, and veggies, so yes you could I imagine.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Keeping the foods at a lower temperature (preferably lower than room temperature, usually you will see "keep in a cool and dry area") will help keep the food more fresh... It also keeps mold and mildew at bay IF the area is DRY, or the container is AIR TIGHT. I don't freeze or refrigerate... I just keep it at the lowest, coolest, driest part of the house.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #6 
Otterfun

I also store it in a box with desiccant packets that came with my regular food items to keep the storage dry.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote