Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #261 
Sena Hansler

For all we know it could be a stronger strain. We've been fighting off this one and like any disease known to mankind a stronger uglier one will come along.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #262 
Coppermoon

Female (on the road to recovery):

Female (relapse...you can see her exploding with the Mycos):

Female (pineconing...I put her down right after this pix) You can see the gray scaling:

Little Blue (24 hrs after loosing his tail):

Recovery:

Relapse:

Daddy with new growth:

Daddy relapse (he ended up loosing his entire dorsal):

DT:

Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #263 
FishyFishy89

I'm wondering if what your fish got is a bit different from what has been the main talk of this thread.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #264 
Roemgie

I will use vinager if that's more effective than bleach. I'm getting ready to go check on her again but she hasn't eaten or at least from what I've observed so I don't know how much longer she'll be alive but if she does pass away I'll quickly clean my tank. I only have bleach though so if I can use that then I won't run to the store
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #265 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I'm wondering if what your fish got is a bit different from what has been the main talk of this thread.
I know that comment isn't meant for me but could my girl possibly have columnaris?? I know that when a betta fish passes away their body gets very cloudy. That's what her back end is doing. Here's some pictures, she also is having swim bladder issues

Old 01-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #266 
Coppermoon

http://bettasource.com/more-betta/di...t/mycobacteria

I was treating my fish for Columnaris. It presented it's self just like Colunmaris.

I sencerely hope that you guys don't have the mycos. This crap is awful, but I'm afraid that it is mycos. I know of at least 3 breeders that have had it confirmed (me included in the 3).

Good luck on treating this stuff....
Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #267 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermoon View Post
http://bettasource.com/more-betta/di...t/mycobacteria

I was treating my fish for Columnaris. It presented it's self just like Colunmaris.

I sencerely hope that you guys don't have the mycos. This crap is awful, but I'm afraid that it is mycos. I know of at least 3 breeders that have had it confirmed (me included in the 3).

Good luck on treating this stuff....
I don't think there's anything that I can really do anything at the current moment. She hasn't gotten worse or better and right now I'm just trying to figure out what to do and if she passes away, what to do with my tank.

Thank you for sharing the pictures though!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #268 
Coppermoon

When she dies, put her body into 3 zip lock baggies and dispose of her in the trash. Tank: clean/dry and let set for about a month. Like I posted, I got a cleaner through my vet. It has to kill Tuberculocidal. Household lysol does not have the right ingredients to kill it. You can also try bleaching the entire tank, rinse, then spray it with rubbing alcohol and let that set wet for for 5 mins. Wipe down, Rinse and bleach again. Again rinse then spray with alcohol again and let it dry. It still must sit dry for several weeks before it would be safe to use again. I got the cleaner because I didn't want to wait that long. IF you can't bleach it, throw it out. I'd throw out everything but the tank...all decor...cheap enough to replace it.

The lab told me that getting the mineral build up off is VERY important because it likes to live in places like that. This cleaner takes that off with a little scraping on my part.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #269 
callistra

I am just wondering.. and I don't want to offend anyone.. if anyone who has had their disease confirmed as mycobacterium have also tested to see if there were strands of columnaris present, and positively ruled out that there were no strands of columnaris and only mycobacterium in their fish?

I just ask because while I have no doubt that the people who have the disease confirmed genuinely had the illness, I just also wonder if the actual disease process we're seeing here is a fast moving columnaris. It is very very common for fish with a primary mycobacterium condition to develop secondary infections. It's like fish AIDS.. something grabs hold and moves way faster and way more violently because of their weakend immune system. And since mycobacterium never has acted like this before, and columnaris does, it seems to reason that maybe the mycobacterium made them susceptible to something else that took them overnight.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has absolutely confirmatively ruled this out via testing?

Also as a side note, treatment for mycobacterium that is proven most effective (does have some positive results, though is probably the most fatal condition) is a MONTH long (some people even say 3 months) treatment of Kanaplex + secondary drug and supplement b12 (like vitachem), because shorter treatment most often results in a relapse.

Last edited by callistra; 01-16-2013 at 05:56 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #270 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I am just wondering.. and I don't want to offend anyone.. if anyone who has had their disease confirmed as mycobacterium have also tested to see if there were strands of columnaris present, and positively ruled out that there were no strands of columnaris and only mycobacterium in their fish?

I just ask because while I have no doubt that the people who have the disease confirmed genuinely had the illness, I just also wonder if the actual disease process we're seeing here is a fast moving columnaris. It is very very common for fish with a primary mycobacterium condition to develop secondary infections. It's like fish AIDS.. something grabs hold and moves way faster and way more violently because of their weakend immune system. And since mycobacterium never has acted like this before, and columnaris does, it seems to reason that maybe the mycobacterium made them susceptible to something else that took them overnight.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has absolutely confirmatively ruled this out via testing?

Also as a side note, treatment for mycobacterium that is proven most effective (does have some positive results, though is probably the most fatal condition) is a MONTH long (some people even say 3 months) treatment of Kanaplex + secondary drug and supplement b12 (like vitachem), because shorter treatment most often results in a relapse.
Going to create a new thread...
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote