Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #11 
5150wicd4fish

I have and started using Seachem Flourish excel, since November '12, however I have used very sparingly, because 1) I am new to planted tanks, 2) I purchased only low to medium plants, 3) I have LED lighting. 4) inert-substrate sand w/small amount of clay.
So I only put like 1-2ml at a time, depends on how much water I remove every 5 days, (ITs a 20 gallon long) usually 8 gallons.
I can say my amazon swords, cryps, cabomba, roseflolia, anubias are all doing well.
I just planted dwarf hairgrass and water wisteria which is in shock mode I think..
I've also tried API Leaf Zone, for this tank and my 60 gal, and it's okay, but nothing really noticiable in plant growth.

PS In case theres question about my LED lighting, I have two "day white" strips, and called the manufacturer of Aqueon Modular LED lighting yesterday, and she advised these are actually 10,000 K. They' re also considering rewording or adding this information on their product line to inform consumers..
This may not have answered your question but I guess from my inexperience I am going to continue to use it and see how it goes..:)
5150wicd4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #12 
aemaki09

Did you ever not use excel with your tank?
I'm just wondering if it makes much of a difference for you, or anyone else.
I'm kind of a cheap skate, so I dont want to flush that money down the drain when I could go get more plants or something instead.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #13 
5150wicd4fish

Yup I did use API Leaf Zone on the small tank but I really didn't notice any big change, but then again my lighting wasn't like it is now... umm idk, the cost of Excel purchased from PlantedAquariumsCentral was $7.69...thats not too bad and will last you quite awhile..
Hopefully others can chime in and give their suggestions as I am curious what other product can be used to improve or a cheaper buy :D Good luck :D
5150wicd4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #14 
Nothingness

if you really want to use co2 and don't wanna spend much $$ look into the DIY CO2 system using yeast and sugar in a 2L pop bottle and just use florish
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #15 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
if you really want to use co2 and don't wanna spend much $$ look into the DIY CO2 system using yeast and sugar in a 2L pop bottle and just use florish
Yeah but you still have to buy the connectors and check valves and all that good stuff. I don't want to put too much money into it when I am changing over to an NPT in a few months anyways

At PetsmArt in my area it's like 13$, I might have to look online for it! If amazon has it I'll probably buy and see how it works
Old 01-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #16 
kfryman

A DIY CO2 shouldn't cost you more than $10 for everything excluding the diffuser and the yeast and sugar will last you quite a while. It gets annoying however making new ones, so Excel is an alright alternative. On Amazon it is $10 for 500mL. I use it on my tanks, and it works fine. You might see an increase in growth but an increase of growth means you need to be adding more ferts if you aren't already.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #17 
ao
TFK Moderator

i really cant tell whether my plants are doing better with excel or not. I've onlu noticed that it has kept the algae at bay
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #18 
kfryman

I've noticed a small increase when I just started to use it. Now I am learning more so I can't say now, but at the beginning it worked and I know that it does work. It does also help with algae so its a win win.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 AM   #19 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
A DIY CO2 shouldn't cost you more than $10 for everything excluding the diffuser and the yeast and sugar will last you quite a while. It gets annoying however making new ones, so Excel is an alright alternative. On Amazon it is $10 for 500mL. I use it on my tanks, and it works fine. You might see an increase in growth but an increase of growth means you need to be adding more ferts if you aren't already.
What exactly do I need to buy to make DIY co2, I know I need. 2 litter bottle, yeast and sugar, but other than that I am clueless on how to get it from the bottle to tank in correct amounts?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #20 
Nothingness

Here is a great article about everything you need to know about the DIY CO2 system. http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

It'll prob cost the same amount to get this started up as a bottle of excel
the minimal you need is:
1 2L bottle
air line tubing
check valve
air stone....the wooden ones work best
sugar
yeast
water
an an optional smaller bottle to make the bubble counter
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote