Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #31 
Myates

LOL I want! The male cambo seem to be a bit harder to find down here.. have a friend who has a spawn of reds with some cambos in them, they are only a month old.. hoping she has a few males in there so I can snag one.

Yes.. more fish! Muwahaha! And I just bought 3 more today! It will never endddddddd!

This is what happens when you start breeding.. always finding new fish that you MUST have to breed, and then you end up with.. 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21.. oh I give up counting them out..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #32 
Sena Hansler

My cambodian girl (second one) will be matched to a red male.

... I have 17 adults with *now* 100 from a 239 surviving spawn xD

Which brings me to another point..

What will you do if you get 200-300 fry? It is possible. It happened to me!
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #33 
Myates

*coughcullcough*

Really the only thing to do if you have too many to care for.. why one needs to think carefully when planning on breeding - have lots of little lives that you have control over.. if you keep them all you may not be able to care for them properly in which case they could all become ill and die.. yet you don't want to kill any healthy babies (heaven forbid they get bigger and their "personalities" start to come out), yet if you do you will be able to care for the small amount better.

I hate the choices one is forced with when breeding. /sad sigh..
Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #34 
Vizja13

Culling, yes definitely. It'll be sad but otherwise, I know I won't have homes for the babies and can't give them the care they need. I'm THINKING (no definites of course, and I will have to see how Mr. Alexei turns out temperament wise) of trying the "leave father with fry" method. Looking at the article on bettysplendens, it seems like if Alexei continues to stay docile as he's been acting, it COULD work.

I know I will only do one spawn, mom's made that agreement with me xP And the ten gal I will use as a spawn tank will go to my friend Ashley, along with two babies (I'll divide it for her) and probably a filter and heater, so she only has to get decorations, and a stand if she doesn't like the one dad's promised to build me. The rest of the babies I'll sell to either a local fish store (if they'll take them) or to classmates. And not people who will stick them in a bowl and forget them -eyeroll- Might give some to teachers at the school too...depends on how heavily I cull them.

Has anyone got any experience using anarchis in spawn tanks? It's pretty plentiful and cheap around here, so I've thought it might make a good floating forest for the breeding and the babies.

Thanks for the tip, I will try to talk to indjo about the genetics :)
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #35 
Sena Hansler

With plants live is always the best to go! They also create infusoria, and even daphnia in the tank (as I have found out many times). So, it offers cover, and it is beneficial to the environment and fry :)
Old 01-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #36 
Vizja13

Awesome, Anarchis it is :) And maybe by then Cap can donate some Java fern from his ever-growing garden xP I know I've seen him snapping at some stuff in his tank
Old 01-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #37 
Vizja13

Eep! Alexei (the copper) just flared for the first time since I got him (a week ago) and from this angle he looks HM <3 I'll try and take some pictures this evening when the room is darker, you can see his color better then. His fins still have damage from the store but they're healing and his color has come in so well.

And to think I considered rescuing and giving away this boy. Sigh. I would suck at betta rehab >.>
Old 01-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #38 
Myates

You do have a grow out tank, right? Something in the range of (no less than) 20g long? Unsure how many you plan on keeping.. but it's something you may need to get unless you plan to cull all but a few.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #39 
Vizja13

Myates, I don't have one (sadly it's my dream tank) because I would have to special order it. I DO plan on doing heavy culling and will have jars (and yes I will commit myself to daily 50% and every other day 100% changes, or more if necessary) for anyone who gets too big for the growout. If nothing else, I can get a bin from target, clean it, and use it to grow out.

On the note of culling. I have mentioned before that I wanted to TRY to raise the fry with the father, although I am well aware that this is probably not possible. I've heard of people using African Dwarf Frogs to cull YOUNG fry, would getting one or two in my ten gallon (with the adults not the fry) be a good idea? Past when the ADFs can eat them, what methods do you use and find most humane?

Last edited by Vizja13; 01-17-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Clarifying a statement
Old 01-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #40 
Sena Hansler

Common euthanasia methods: Insta-freeze, freeze, smash, decapitate, or clove oil. Or a very large fish