Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #11 
twolovers101

Here's what I would do, clean your tank out really well with hot water and maybe vinegar or bleach if you think it's necessary, just in case there's anything that could have lingered. Let it sit out in the sun for a day or so if you go the bleach or vinegar route and don't get a new boy until you're ready. Take your time and if you go to the pet store and see one you fall in love with, go for it. Don't be too hard on yourself. :)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #12 
carbonxxkidd

+1 to twolovers!! Don't give up on bettas! Most of the fish I see at the stores around here are in terrible shape. Just because they look/act healthy doesn't mean they are...there are things going on inside that you can't see. He could have been damaged by high ammonia levels in his cup or something that you weren't aware of. Most places that sell fish have a warranty of 14-30 days on their fish, if I were you I would return Amephyre (may he swim in peace) and try again. :)
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #13 
Bluewind

+2 to 2love! Those 1st losses are tough, but we all keep going because we love it. You can clean the tank and try again and if that one dies, know that it wasn't you, but something wrong with the fish before you got it and that while you had it, it was happy. It's sad to know that these places are nothing more than profit machines, but that's what they are and the fish pay the price. They would break even even if they only sold 1 out of 10 and the other 9 died. Those VT "mutts" that they sell for $3 are normally bought for about a quarter. It's why sometimes no matter how hard we try, we fail.

Also, +1 to Carbon. I have never seen a store that has an exchange pollicy less than 2 weeks. I usually just call the manager so they can take note of it, ask if they need a pic (they usually say no), and go back at my convenience to get the new one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-16-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #14 
Fenghuang

Oh, man, I was just looking at the pictures. I'm so sorry. /:

Don't give up, it wasn't your fault. From the looks of it, you did everything to the best of your ability. If he died so soon after you got him, he probably already had something.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #15 
Bluewind

I know that this is completely random, but I know you're upset so I'm hoping it will make you laugh a little. I have a beautiful mystery snail named Magic. I sexed her and found it was a she. After Magic had grown (and even laid a few eggs), I decided to buy 2 more hoping that one of them would be a male so she could have some little snail babies. I got a black (Sandy) and an ivory (Angel). They were 1/4 her size.

After a month, I saw Magic pestering Sandy. I was like Okay, so Sandy is the male. I was bumish because I wanted the pretty little ivory to be the male. Sandy was so tiny that Magic wrapped around him spinning him around. I laughed at the thought od her trying to get "in his pants" so to speak. This continued until just now when I saw Magic doing the same thing to Angel! I was like WTH!!! After closer inspection, I come to discover that my little Magic HAS HAD A SEX CHANGE! So now my she is a he and I can't bring myself to check the other 2 because God only know if they will stay that way

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-16-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #16 
SomethingWitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaluver14 View Post
you did such an amazing job loving and caring for him... you should do great with another guy who will get a great owner. down look down on yourself.. you did great :)
Thanks. :]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
Okay, bag some water to test at the lfs when they open.
Check his gills for ANY movement! He could still be alive.
Think about rather or not anything has changed. Have you used and airfreshener, bug spray, flee and tick powder, or any kind of chemical in the same room as the tank or on something that could have gotten it to the tank.
Did you clean the tank after the other died? What did he die with? Did you buy them at the same place?
Is there any salt-liske specks on his body or white on his gills or mouth?
Posted via Mobile Device
That's not a bad idea, I was actually thinking about taking his water to get tested. I haven't used any kind of aerosol sprays or anything that could have gotten into his tank. My other betta died from complications of fin rot and a bacterial disease, I believe. They were both bought from Petco, but my first one was bought in August. I don't see any visible signs of ich, velvet, or any other kind of disease. I cleaned the tank with a bleach solution of about 1:20 and let it air dry. I couldn't set it outside because of the weather conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
Here's what I would do, clean your tank out really well with hot water and maybe vinegar or bleach if you think it's necessary, just in case there's anything that could have lingered. Let it sit out in the sun for a day or so if you go the bleach or vinegar route and don't get a new boy until you're ready. Take your time and if you go to the pet store and see one you fall in love with, go for it. Don't be too hard on yourself. :)
That's what I think I will end up doing, thank you. :]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
+1 to twolovers!! Don't give up on bettas! Most of the fish I see at the stores around here are in terrible shape. Just because they look/act healthy doesn't mean they are...there are things going on inside that you can't see. He could have been damaged by high ammonia levels in his cup or something that you weren't aware of. Most places that sell fish have a warranty of 14-30 days on their fish, if I were you I would return Amephyre (may he swim in peace) and try again. :)
I believe the period at this Petco is 14 days, I'm not sure. I don't have a recipet or anything though. I didn't think I would need it for any reason.
Quote:
+2 to 2love! Those 1st losses are tough, but we all keep going because we love it. You can clean the tank and try again and if that one dies, know that it wasn't you, but something wrong with the fish before you got it and that while you had it, it was happy. It's sad to know that these places are nothing more than profit machines, but that's what they are and the fish pay the price. They would break even even if they only sold 1 out of 10 and the other 9 died. Those VT "mutts" that they sell for $3 are normally bought for about a quarter. It's why sometimes no matter how hard we try, we fail.

Also, +1 to Carbon. I have never seen a store that has an exchange pollicy less than 2 weeks. I usually just call the manager so they can take note of it, ask if they need a pic (they usually say no), and go back at my convenience to get the new one.
Posted via Mobile Device
And that is so sad, I wish that these poor bettas were kept in more humane conditions!

I don't have a recipt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Oh, man, I was just looking at the pictures. I'm so sorry. /:

Don't give up, it wasn't your fault. From the looks of it, you did everything to the best of your ability. If he died so soon after you got him, he probably already had something.
This is true, thank you.
Quote:
I know that this is completely random, but I know you're upset so I'm hoping it will make you laugh a little. I have a beautiful mystery snail named Magic. I sexed her and found it was a she. After Magic had grown (and even laid a few eggs), I decided to buy 2 more hoping that one of them would be a male so she could have some little snail babies. I got a black (Sandy) and an ivory (Angel). They were 1/4 her size.

After a month, I saw Magic pestering Sandy. I was like Okay, so Sandy is the male. I was bumish because I wanted the pretty little ivory to be the male. Sandy was so tiny that Magic wrapped around him spinning him around. I laughed at the thought od her trying to get "in his pants" so to speak. This continued until just now when I saw Magic doing the same thing to Angel! I was like WTH!!! After closer inspection, I come to discover that my little Magic HAS HAD A SEX CHANGE! So now my she is a he and I can't bring myself to check the other 2 because God only know if they will stay that way
Lol, I didn't know snails did that! That is pretty funny. :)
SomethingWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #17 
carbonxxkidd

I would still try, just bring it in, explain what happened, and I bet they'd let you pick out a new one. Plus, if you have a Pals card aren't all your purchases cataloged online or something?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #18 
SomethingWitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
I would still try, just bring it in, explain what happened, and I bet they'd let you pick out a new one. Plus, if you have a Pals card aren't all your purchases cataloged online or something?

That's true I do have a card. I just feel so weird being like "take my dead fish back and give me another".

SomethingWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #19 
carbonxxkidd

I'm sure it happens more than you think. Personally, if I bought a fish that seemed perfectly healthy and died in less than a week I'd definitely take it back. I don't make that much money and so a $10 fish is an investment and if it doesn't work out I either want a new one or my money back, lol.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #20 
Bluewind

Anyway, I know how hard it is. We have all been there. But then there are those random moments and funny moments and those times when they just make you feel so calm and peaceful that everything is worth it.

And don't worry about the reciept thing. Just tell the manager what day you came in and about what time. Discribe what happened. The fact you will know the details will be proof enough for them most likely. And when you become a regular, they wont even question you if you call in. Heck, the manager at mine ocasionally throws in freebies when I have problems
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-16-2013 at 10:24 PM.