Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

Yes, Bahari has white tips like your guy does. The blue on his tail kind of faded outwards to white and then to pink/red.

Your boy looks like he has that marble pattern and the white tips look to me like they are part of his fin rays and not anything growing off of them. He may change a little bit or he may change drastically. My Bahari lost his blue in less than a week.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #12 
SomethingWitty

My fish died. Wasn't marbling.
SomethingWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #13 
callistra

Sorry you lost him :( It looks like you were doing everything right.. he may have just been sick when you brought him home.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

I am sorry for your loss :( that's very strange.

He had no strange behaviors or anything? Did he look different than yesterday? If they started to look like wispy things hanging off his tail fins, he may have been shedding his slime coat. If it was fungus, it would have been fuzzy. I don't think the white tips caused it... It was likely normal coloring or re growth if it didn't look fuzzy or whispy.

Did he ever eat? He was probably sick in the store... It may have been something internal because I don't see any alarming physical signs. What was his behavior like?

I'm assuming you still want to use that five gallon tank. I would disinfect it, with bleach/water just in case he did have something from the store. I'd also stay away from that store. How much stress coat and dechlorinator did you use? Stress coat is a dechlorinator so you don't need both.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #15 
SomethingWitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Sorry you lost him :( It looks like you were doing everything right.. he may have just been sick when you brought him home.
I think that's the consensus. I just wish I had known so I could have tried to help him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I am sorry for your loss :( that's very strange.

He had no strange behaviors or anything? Did he look different than yesterday? If they started to look like wispy things hanging off his tail fins, he may have been shedding his slime coat. If it was fungus, it would have been fuzzy. I don't think the white tips caused it... It was likely normal coloring or re growth if it didn't look fuzzy or whispy.

Did he ever eat? He was probably sick in the store... It may have been something internal because I don't see any alarming physical signs. What was his behavior like?

I'm assuming you still want to use that five gallon tank. I would disinfect it, with bleach/water just in case he did have something from the store. I'd also stay away from that store. How much stress coat and dechlorinator did you use? Stress coat is a dechlorinator so you don't need both.
He was acting strange today, but I really didn't think much of it honestly. Well, until he did a barrel roll... then I was like wtf. He did have stringy parts hanging off the ends of all his fins today, it looked like they were fraying, it was weird.

He never did eat, I tried twice a day. I just ordered food online yesterday, sigh.

I will disinfect it again, maybe that is what went wrong?? I used a bleach solution of 1:20 after my first betta passed, and let the tank air dry.

I followed the directions for the amount to use. I think this was 1/4 for 2.5 gallon (I only did a 50% water change) and 1.5tsp of the water conditioner.
I didn't realise that they were both a dechlorinator.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

The bleach also needs to be rinsed out several times.

I think he was already sick. It sounds like you've done everything right!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #17 
SomethingWitty

Okay well hopefully his death really wasn't at my hands.
:(
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #18 
AyalaCookiejar

You didn't do anything bad. Even with the water dechlorinator... Up to 5x the normal amount can be added without issues (Callistra might have more exact numbers). I see absolutely no flaws in anything YOU did. And you purchased him recently... Unfortunately, pet store bettas are almost never in good health or conditions and a majority of them are sick. Although some sicknesses are obvious and can be treated, others are not, and he had a sickness that was not obvious.

I can tell you I am 99.9% sure it wasn't something YOU did given the information you provided.