Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #1 
Schwannsee

Cool Lighting for my office 10 G

So, the new guy is moved into the office tank. He seems to be having a wonderful time exploring the different surfaces and textures, and tastes. He ate a duckweed!

Any way-
Tank is a 10G, with a fine gravel/coarse sand substrate, a couple good hunks of bogwood. I am using a HOB filter, baffled for now, but I would like to remove the baffle once the new guy builds some muscle. Tank lid is the stock one, half black plastic, half clear, with cutouts for the heat/filter. Livestock is 2 Otos and now Casper, the new betta. (New to this tank, I have been keeping him for a couple of weeks in a small container, only 1/2 G, due to an unexpected cycle issue). I dose the tank about once a week with Flourish.

I have a couple of hygrophilia (sp?), a giant sword, some dwarf sag ( I think), Anubias, a moss ball, and some java fern or moss. I'd like to add more stems eventually, and would love ideas for interesting easy-care plants. The sword and the sag get a root tab when they look a little sad, approx every 2 months.

My 15W flourescent heats up the tank too much, so I was wondering about LED's. I hear they are cooler, but I am confused about whether or not they'll get the plants the light they need. I'm having real trouble understanding what light the plants need and how to give it to them.

Should I try suspending the flourescent that I have from the shelf above it, and/or replace the lid with glass to see if that reduces heat enough while still giving the plants the light they need? Or are LED's the way to go, and if so would anyone be able to explain what I am looking for? ;) Thanks!
Schwannsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #2 
bettaluver14

LED lights do not supply the needed light for live plants... however, it doesnt affect and make the water hot like the ones you have now. so it's really either take out the live plants and buy leds(another upside is LEDS last much longer) or try to figure out a way to stop the water heating.
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #3 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaluver14 View Post
LED lights do not supply the needed light for live plants... however, it doesnt affect and make the water hot like the ones you have now. so it's really either take out the live plants and buy leds(another upside is LEDS last much longer) or try to figure out a way to stop the water heating.
I beg to differ. A quality LED fixture is capable of running a high light tank perfectly fine, I think you were misinformed as yes some LED fixtures do not, but I know of several that can provide a tank with low light all the way to high light.

The Finnex Fugeray is a very good LED light option, it is great for growing low light plants but you can get away with some plants that are low-medium light. The fixture does sit on the tank rim so you would have an open top tank, if you aren't comfortable risking a fish that may jump, you can get a piece of glass cut and have at least a 1 inch space in the back so you can put your filters in and everything. I run all my tanks topless at the moment I have had 1 fish die from jumping and I have had open top tanks since April. Unless you teach your betta to jump, I don't see a huge risk, if you are still afraid you can always run the water level 1 or 2 inches below the black trim, but again I keep mine a bit above the black trim as with an open top tank it looks much better.

http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRay...I2E2ISE70GCONU

Others on here from my recommendation have gotten it and love it. I plan on getting one as well once I begin to setup my shrimp breeding tank, those fixtures are great and also come with moon lights, though if it is in the office I doubt you would use those.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaluver14 View Post
Woah hang on, where did this claim come from? Most pro aquarium lighting are LED... (look up Radion)

as long as the light is full specturm, 6500k(ish) it will certainly sustain plant growth.

Infact I use a 10w LED flood light for my uncle's NPT and it works beautifully. not a spot of algae in sight.

Finnex fugeray provides mediumish lighting, whilst the Ray II should get you a good high light...

OP's plants are all pretty much low light plants....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote