Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #1 
zoogirl

Unhappy Light quit working in new Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5 gallon

Hi. I'm new here and so glad t o find this great site!

Bought the Aqueon 2.5 last month. Male Betta, Waylon, is thriving. After cleaning it last night, the light was still working, but overnight it quit. All else is fine. I noted on another site a few problems with it have occurred.

I would so appreciate any advice or words of wisdom!

Thanks!!
zoogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #2 
sandybottom
Reference Team

dumb question, have you tried a new bulb?
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #3 
mld02004

Did you check if the bulb is blown? Is so, they do sell replacements at petco. Or, is the bulb loose?
mld02004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #4 
zoogirl

Thanks. Bulb definitely is not loose - will remove it after work and check its condition.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #5 
zoogirl

Light is working now. Hmmm.
Must not have been making a connection even though we messed with several different times this morning! Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #6 
zoogirl

Just a followup. Light doesn't work about every other morning. Going to take it all apart and restart. Guess it's not that important, but it does help with providing some heat. I'm still curious if others here have had this problem.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #7 
OrangeAugust

I dropped the hood of my 5 gallon Mini Bow once, and busted the light fixture. They don't replace just the hood, either. If you don't have plants you don't need a light. But it does look nicer when you can see your fish well. What I did was use plastic wrap over the top of the tank (because of the filter air was still able to get in), and I got a desk lamp to put over it to provide light.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #8 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoogirl View Post
Just a followup. Light doesn't work about every other morning. Going to take it all apart and restart. Guess it's not that important, but it does help with providing some heat. I'm still curious if others here have had this problem.

Thanks!
using light as a heat source is rather unreliable. maybe the contact point of your bulb is corroded. get a new bulb from Petco or Petsmart and see if it improves. also clean the condensation on the underside of the hood so the water will not get into the socket when you take the lid off completely.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #9 
zoogirl

Thanks so much y'all. Will try your suggestions and hopefully it'll work as designed! Love the plastic wrap over the top (sans the light, of course.)

Tags
aqueon, broken, condensation, light, problem