Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #221 
finnfinnfriend

Aren't those aquaclear sponges rough enough to hurt a betta?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #222 
Tikibirds

To those who stick foam over the outflow...

How long have you been doing it? 2 years
Have you ever had a problem? Like cycle break down, overflow on the filter, etc..Nope, I dont use cartridges, only foam so I stick it at the out flow and inside the filter where the cartridges go as well. Every now and then If I dont swish the sponge around in old tank water, it gets clogged and I get a trickel of it overflowing

I've always read you're not supposed to put anything over the outflow.. that you should only put sponges UNDER the outflow to reduce the current of the outflow but nothing to actually go over the outflow that would reduce the flow rate.. Never heard that before..it has yet to cause any cycle crashes or anything like that and I have 5 filters that have sponge over the outflow. Wouldn't it provide another place for bacteria to grow? The only thing I can think of why it would be bad is if people are using the current of the outflow to add oxygen to the tank for fish that dont have a labrenth organ...?

Mine are also like this or very similar - depending on the filter brand. NOT MY PIC, but I have essentially the same thing for my Aqueon and Aquateck filters.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-12-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #223 
Boostedmopar

I ended up making one for my 29 gallon. Thanks for posting this!
Boostedmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #224 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
To those who stick foam over the outflow...

How long have you been doing it? 2 years
Have you ever had a problem? Like cycle break down, overflow on the filter, etc..Nope, I dont use cartridges, only foam so I stick it at the out flow and inside the filter where the cartridges go as well. Every now and then If I dont swish the sponge around in old tank water, it gets clogged and I get a trickel of it overflowing

I've always read you're not supposed to put anything over the outflow.. that you should only put sponges UNDER the outflow to reduce the current of the outflow but nothing to actually go over the outflow that would reduce the flow rate.. Never heard that before..it has yet to cause any cycle crashes or anything like that and I have 5 filters that have sponge over the outflow. Wouldn't it provide another place for bacteria to grow? The only thing I can think of why it would be bad is if people are using the current of the outflow to add oxygen to the tank for fish that dont have a labrenth organ...?

Mine are also like this or very similar - depending on the filter brand. NOT MY PIC, but I have essentially the same thing for my Aqueon and Aquateck filters.
Doesn't the baffle work better if the baffling sponge dips into the water a little?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #225 
finnfinnfriend

Or does it work just fine like that? You think that way would be good enough for even a HM?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #226 
Aquaute

My elephant ear Betta swims up the teeny stream into the filter. I have had to mesh over every opening ; both in-flows and out-flows. I use a disassambled shower scrubber; the mesh is soft and streches to size.
Aquaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #227 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Doesn't the baffle work better if the baffling sponge dips into the water a little?
Not sure. If I overfill the one tank, then the bottom of the sponge is in the tank. There is still a stream of water the flows out but it it alot more gentler then without the sponge. How do I say this...instead of the water shooting out at full force, the sponge slows it down and redirects the flow straight downward. If that makes any sense, not sure how to word it.

My 10G's are divided 3 ways and the guy with the filter is either a HM or delta, not really sure. With the sponge and some oversided silk plants infront of the filter, he has no issues. He is a pretty small guy too, fully grown but not as long or fat as some of the other males.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #228 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Not sure. If I overfill the one tank, then the bottom of the sponge is in the tank. There is still a stream of water the flows out but it it alot more gentler then without the sponge. How do I say this...instead of the water shooting out at full force, the sponge slows it down and redirects the flow straight downward. If that makes any sense, not sure how to word it.

My 10G's are divided 3 ways and the guy with the filter is either a HM or delta, not really sure. With the sponge and some oversided silk plants infront of the filter, he has no issues. He is a pretty small guy too, fully grown but not as long or fat as some of the other males.
Does the flow become more of a trickle with the sponge there?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #229 
Tikibirds

For the Aqueon 10's - it's more like a very gentle waterfall. There is still a current but a very small one. if you used a denser foam, I would imagine the flow would be reduced even more. Petsmart had something made by API, I think it was for a canaster filter?, it was supposed to be used to catch very fine debris. I would imagine using that would slow down the flow even more because the material has smaller holes then the foam.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #230 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
For the Aqueon 10's - it's more like a very gentle waterfall. There is still a current but a very small one. if you used a denser foam, I would imagine the flow would be reduced even more. Petsmart had something made by API, I think it was for a canaster filter?, it was supposed to be used to catch very fine debris. I would imagine using that would slow down the flow even more because the material has smaller holes then the foam.
Oh yeah but the aquaeon 10's aren't adjustable, right? And their flow is supposed to be 100 gph.